News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Uproar: making it smoother, and tone knob barely doing anything?

Started by ben_allison, May 16, 2011, 12:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben_allison

Great build! I compared it to my Riot and it's pretty much spot on!

A few things though; I find that the Uproar is a touch more crispy/farty. Any ideas as to what could smooth that out? FWIW I'm using mostly Panasonic caps and metal film resistors.

Also, the tone knob is not doing much... but I realized that might be because I'm using a 10k linear... but I believe it's actually supposed to be a 10 reverse log?

Also, what effect would increasing or decreasing C8, C9, and C10 have, once I get the sweep/impact of the tone knob right, I'm open to moddng the frequency range of the tone section.

stecykmi

you could try filtering off more high end, that may reduce some sizzle.

The second gain stage is a low pass filter with a cutoff of about 330hz (by f = 1 / (2 * pi * R5 * C6 )). If you increase C6, you'll decrease the high end going through. Maybe try something like 560pF or so.

Not sure how effective it will be since the next stage is a clipping which will add tons of high frequency harmonics, but it's an easy mod.

I've not built this myself but I see a lot of people talking about the filter pot isn't very effective.

ben_allison

Nice! I'll probably ad some sockets and swap things.

Filtering some high-end pre-gain is probably fine, since distortion is just harmonics, which will add some brightness inherently.

Thanks for the idea!