News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Good Source fof J201 and 2N5457

Started by Guitafuzz, February 27, 2014, 05:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fixxe

So any good source for j201? I don't want to use SMD.
If not, I'll have to buy the expensive ones from Banzai... :'(

DutchMF

Quote from: fixxe on April 26, 2014, 02:09:49 PM

These guys http://www.newtone-online.nl/catalog/index.php are a bit cheaper than Banzai. Only a couple of cents for the J201, but they sell the 2N5457 for less than half than what Banzai charges. The site is in dutch, so shoot me a PM if you need help translating/navigating

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Clayford

Aron Nelson(DIYSB), Small Bear, Banzai. if you want known good "proper" j201's. Or post in the B/S/T.
This will cost good money, but they will be solid parts and in spec.
You can order from Tayda. Don't hold your breath for good parts.

Alternative option, Order from Chromosphere. Paul is amazing to deal with.
Adaptor Board and j201 are cheap less than .30c iirc. Yes you'll need some tweezers. Maybe you can order the SMD "training" kit he offers as well. SMD isn't hard, it's just new. A FINE tip conical point is all you need.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

selfdestroyer

I was on a mission last week also for J201's since I have a list of new builds that need them. I ended up getting the maximum order amount from Aron Nelson(DIYSB) and they should be here on Monday. $5.50 for 10 (max of 4 orders for a total of 40) is not bad if they are in spec and known good. I fought with builds lately with crappy J201's that I was just fed up with the cheaper (might be out of spec) ones and went to a good source.

Cody

fixxe

Quote from: DutchMF on April 26, 2014, 02:59:18 PM
Quote from: fixxe on April 26, 2014, 02:09:49 PM

These guys http://www.newtone-online.nl/catalog/index.php are a bit cheaper than Banzai. Only a couple of cents for the J201, but they sell the 2N5457 for less than half than what Banzai charges. The site is in dutch, so shoot me a PM if you need help translating/navigating

Paul

haha "winkelwagen" made me laugh. the j201s are just a few cents cheaper though, but still thanks, I might buy there in the future :)

Do you guys know if Arons j201s are the real deal?

fixxe

Alright, I got some from Banzai and from Aron
The Banzai ones read: FBC14 J201  and one is FBB01 J201
Aron's say: FBB51 J201

Though I don't know what to do with that information :D

Clayford

All of the j201's I ordered from Aron were in spec. This was late Jan early Feb.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

selfdestroyer

Quote from: Clayford on May 19, 2014, 01:09:14 AM
All of the j201's I ordered from Aron were in spec. This was late Jan early Feb.

All the ones I ordered last month from Aaron were in spec also. I ordered the max of 40 and the 10-15 I tested were all good so I stopped testing.

Cody

fixxe

I thought I'd just let you know, in case anyone finds that information useful... ;)

dadler

Apologies for bumping an old topic. I just put in an OSH Park order for 90 (30x3) of the tiny converters linked below.

anyone have a mouser link for the preferred SMD equivalents for the 2n5457 and j201?

Quote from: Tall Steve on April 25, 2014, 12:58:38 AM
Here: https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/NF0sGcF8

Mike B.

Search for mmbf5457 or mmbt5457 and mmbfj201 for the J201's. I seem to recal those being the part #'s

dadler

Ah those look right to me. Much thanks.

Quote from: Mike B. on November 24, 2014, 11:40:09 PM
Search for mmbf5457 or mmbt5457 and mmbfj201 for the J201's. I seem to recal those being the part #'s