News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Using a polarized capacitor for C10 in Kingslayer 2

Started by solderfumes, November 23, 2014, 06:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solderfumes

Thanks all for your help.  I'll be sure to socket the IC and try the TLC2264 in the future.  I tied the negative leg of C10 to -9v, and I didn't notice any extra noise, so I'm probably just going to leave it, especially since I already laid it out that way in DIYLC and don't feel like changing it :)

As for the differences in types of capacitors, I don't want to wade into any big debates re: tone, but I will say that I'm going to switch to film caps from ceramics, if only because it's nice to actually have 68nF capacitors that are close to 68nF :P  All the 68nF ceramics I bought are around 80-96nF.  (And some of my 100nFs are closer to 80nF.)

bordonbert

QuoteEdit: Nevermind, it's not worth it.
My sincere apologies guys, I'm really not trying to shake any trees or push my own brilliance.  I only want to learn and you do that by putting your own current understanding forward to those who have knowledge, seeing what case can be made to show it's wrong, then taking on board a more accurate version if that can be demonstrated.  That way your own position becomes more informed.  However that only works if it's a two way street.

I've obviously touched on an issue which there is no interest in discussing in this way.  I think we can say that with my background I'm not the right type for here so I won't push myself or my ideas onto you any further.  Once again my apologies.

madbean

On the contrary, bordonbert, your ideas are most welcome and you should continue to throw them out here. I'm definitely of the camp that "component types" don't make much of a difference in a 9v or 18v circuit. My attitude has always been "just buy decent components and use what you've got" when it comes to building pedals. For a lot of people here, mojo is just a bit of a fun distraction and not taken very seriously. Actually, I'm getting even further away from that since I tend to want to use metal film resistors and low noise ICs in everything now. But, occasionally I'll stick a 1k carbon comp in a build just to make myself giggle.

midwayfair

Quote from: bordonbert on November 26, 2014, 10:21:04 AM
QuoteEdit: Nevermind, it's not worth it.
My sincere apologies guys, I'm really not trying to shake any trees or push my own brilliance.  I only want to learn and you do that by putting your own current understanding forward to those who have knowledge, seeing what case can be made to show it's wrong, then taking on board a more accurate version if that can be demonstrated.  That way your own position becomes more informed.  However that only works if it's a two way street.

I've obviously touched on an issue which there is no interest in discussing in this way.  I think we can say that with my background I'm not the right type for here so I won't push myself or my ideas onto you any further.  Once again my apologies.

I was replying to something that would have derailed the thread and isn't terribly relevant given what Brian wrote anyway. For some reason we can't just delete our posts anymore.