News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ghost Effects PCB build

Started by glops, December 12, 2014, 06:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Shit. That's like the deepest etch I can recall seeing. Well done.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

morganp

affiliation: www.dustystrings.com

ggarms

I really love this. Simple and elegant. Gorgeous etch!

glops

Thanks all  :) !

It's a great little fuzz. I'm liking the no painted etch look. Really shows deepness of the etch where paint lessens the effect.

Guybrush

Excellent work as always Glops. Any special method in getting the deep etch?

lars

Wow, those are some serious etching skills (great-looking guts too!). This has that late 70's sci-fi gear look, were it's high-tech and well-used. It could have been sitting on a table in the original star wars and would have fit right in.

micromegas

I think I've mentioned before that I have a folder on my pc called "Glops".

'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

glops

Quote from: Guybrush on December 14, 2014, 10:19:00 AM
Excellent work as always Glops. Any special method in getting the deep etch?

Nothing special about the method. Different types/brands of enclosures react differently to the acid and this one is particularly nice. It's the BB sized box from small bear that is 2 inches tall from Small Bear, I tried to find the link but can't friend it as Small Bear has changed their storefront. Probably the worst ones I have etched are from Bitches Love my Switches but it seems like he gets different batches with different metal mixtures.

The basic method is a plastic tub in my kitchen sink with a cocktail glass sitting inside. I place the enclosure on the glass face up and pour some acid on and use a cheap painters chip brush to move the acid around the face and use the bristles to agitate the acid. When it starts to get violent, I let in keep burning for just a bit and then take the enclosure out and rinse with cold water to let it cool a bit. Then I just repeat until I'm satisfied using my finger to make sure I can feel the deepness of the etch. I'm also using HP glossy presentation paper which gives a great toner transfer as long as my printer ink cartridge has a good amount of ink in it.

I did another one which I will post tonight if I finish and it didn't get this deep, at all. I did it right after this one so the circumstances were the same just a different type of enclosure that does't etch as well.

glops

Quote from: lars on December 14, 2014, 04:32:07 PM
Wow, those are some serious etching skills (great-looking guts too!). This has that late 70's sci-fi gear look, were it's high-tech and well-used. It could have been sitting on a table in the original star wars and would have fit right in.

Dude, thanks  :) I definitely go for that old space junk kinda look!

glops

Quote from: micromegas on December 14, 2014, 06:43:39 PM
I think I've mentioned before that I have a folder on my pc called "Glops".

Man, that makes me feel very happy.