News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kester 44 Rosin Core Solder 63/37 .031 1 lb. Spool

Started by mschuerm, November 05, 2014, 01:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mschuerm

Looking to invest in a 1 lb spool of solder. I've been buying the AIM 63/37 .040 in 10 ft lengths from small bear, but burned through the last spool pretty fast. Would Kester 44 Rosin Core Solder 63/37 .031 1 lb. Spool be similar/comparable to what I am used to with the AIM? I understand the kester is slightly smaller diameter. Or, is that too small of a diameter in anyone's experience? I'll only be doing through hole---no SMD.

Thanks,

Matt

pickdropper

0.031" will work fine.  I have 0.020", 0.025" and 0.031" here.  I usually use the smaller diameters, even for through-hole.

If you are in the US, check out Techni-Tool.  Their prices on solder are usually a little bit better.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

RobA

I also use the 0.020" for everything now. For PTH parts I think it gives me more control and for SMD it's a must.

Check out Allied for prices too. They are usually pretty good on soldering supplies. They have about the best prices on LDR's and Vactrols so I use buying solder and flux as an excuse to stock up on a few of those too. Their shipping's a bit high though if you don't order enough stuff from them to justify it.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Justus

I just picked up a spool of Kester 285 (RMA) 63/37 in 0.031" with a size 66 core and found the best price (incl shipping) from StanleySupplyServices.com.  Of course, that will only hold true if you're just getting solder and not making a larger order where combined shipping comes into play.

mschuerm

Thanks for all of the advice, everyone---really great, helpful forum going on here---gonna research all the options tonight.

mschuerm

Ended up getting the kester I mentioned off of amazon since I am a prime member---loving it already---looks like it will last me awhile.