News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Frostbite

Started by GrindCustoms, October 31, 2014, 10:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrindCustoms

Here are couple shots of that last trip... was'nt really hanging outside while being over there... wich is not necessarely a bad thing.

6AM, before our daily morning meeting.

This one shows the size of one of the buildings, the Crusher. Where the raw material is received to be crushed at first before entering the mill, at the far right, it's a 50tons Crane... beside it, it's the Jaw that crush the rocks. The jaw it self weigths around 20tons and can turn into pieces rocks bigger than a HeavyDuty truck. Quite powerfull. I was in there to do the maintenance of the belt conveyor motors and gear boxes.

At the airport Tarmac on my way back.. blizzard ahead, we took off just in time.

Creepy Selfie in the Slurry tanks, where the nickel is extracted by a flottation system. Doing the maintenance of the impeler/diffuser/valves and calibration of the controller. Kind of a huge blender.

At some point i got my arm stuck in the plug valve while changing them, the security guy standing over my head talking with my watchman, kept silent in my panic so he don't have a reason to justify is paycheck LOL... lubed my entire arm and valve seat with hydraulic grease, used all of the body strenght i had to take my arm out... one of those moments where you go NO NO NO NO NO NO so freaking loud in your head....  :o

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

m-Kresol

Seems like it was one hell of a trip... Love the pics. Very interesting to see how it's done. I guess I've learned about it in process engineering or inorganic technologies at some point and forgot about it again...
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

davent

Sounds quite terriffying Rej, freaks me out to be or feel physically constrained in any way, immediate panic!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jubal81

Awesome stuff. It's like a sci fi movie about miners on another planet.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

alanp

Sounds like fortune definitely favours the bold.

If the Harry Potter wizards existed in real life, I've always gotten the impression they could make an absolute KILLING just teleporting heavy equipment and men to those remote Canada worksites.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

GrindCustoms

Quote from: davent on November 15, 2014, 07:00:21 PM
Sounds quite terriffying Rej, freaks me out to be or feel physically constrained in any way, immediate panic!
dave

I also have a little problem with confined space.. i can stand 100 feet in the air walking on a 6 inch wide steel beam... but being stuck in a confined space within a confined space almost got the best out of me... after i got myself out of that un-causy situation it took me around 5 minutes to calm down and get out of the hole i was working in and look normal.

Quote from: alanp on November 15, 2014, 07:09:16 PM
Sounds like fortune definitely favours the bold.

If the Harry Potter wizards existed in real life, I've always gotten the impression they could make an absolute KILLING just teleporting heavy equipment and men to those remote Canada worksites.

I'd say that you're right about that... and that's for any of those remote location in the uBer cold, full blast wind all the time, no shelter.... survival success may not occur.

Quote from: m-Kresol on November 15, 2014, 06:51:29 PM
Seems like it was one hell of a trip... Love the pics. Very interesting to see how it's done. I guess I've learned about it in process engineering or inorganic technologies at some point and forgot about it again...

Monday i'm starting a new contract in a local mine called La Ronde that belongs to Agnico-Eagle, will be working at 60km from home, 4-3 schedule... will finally be able to breath a little bit more. I'll be working there until Xmas and maybe after too. Very good news, knowing that other guys are getting laid off for the winter break right now.

I'll try to take relevant pictures of the whole mill, it's one of the most modern gold mill in Canada with the gold foundry built in! BlingBling! ;D

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

TGP39

For Gods sake be careful Rej!
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

Haberdasher

uh oh, something doesn't seem quite right here...
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

pickdropper

Scary stuff, Rej.  Glad you slid your way out of that one.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

davent

Cool heads will prevail! Stay safe Rej.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

cooder

Amazing oics, big stories... yes stay safe and make it home in one piece... ;)
BigNoise Amplification

GrindCustoms

I'll try to stay in one piece ;)

New gig is pretty nice, aiming for the second day over there today. Could become a year long gig... even if not exactly what i was looking for, it's still a year long job... ...so i'll take it! :)

Cellphone and cameras are not allowed on the site tho... we'll find a way! haha

Rej

Frag Magnet

Quote from: GrindCustoms on November 18, 2014, 10:28:36 AM
Cellphone and cameras are not allowed on the site tho... we'll find a way! haha
Yeah, that's what they told us on Adak as well...

Careful what you wish for, friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again