News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Extremely Naughty Fish, plus how to use a Mutron in your folk music

Started by midwayfair, December 07, 2014, 10:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

This is a Naughty Fish with the volume external and added attack and decay controls. Adds even more fun to an already insanely deep effect. My gain control is 250KC. The attack is a 10KA with a minimum of 47R (and I used VTL5C1s for the fastest response possible), with the original value of 330R at almost exactly 9:00. The decay control is a 250KA limited by, I think, 10K (which I got from the Sharkfin), putting the original value at noon.

I had some trouble with this one, unfortunately. My drilling wasn't precise enough, and I was a tiny bit too close too close to the top of the enclosure, so I had to file out some holes and the screw wells a little. And I actually broke TWO of the toggles the first time I tried getting it into the box, which I then had to replace. Then I went and overtightened the footswitch and broke that! Blarg. Getting even the low-profile jacks in there was a challenge. I'd say that if you aren't super confident in your drilling skills that you might consider chickening out and using a 125B.

I was working on a demo and just finished this pedal, and said to myself, "Self, can we make this filter thing happen in the background of a folk song? How can we make it even crazier?"

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9878279/Midway%20Fair%20-%20demos%20and%20scratch%20tracks/Dyslinguany%20demo.mp3

(Sorry for using a dropbox link, but I don't want to put a demo on Soundcloud.)

It starts at the first chorus, and then is in from the second chorus through to the end in varying intensity.

Here's what I did: I used my viola bass through a bearhug and then a fuzz face, with a volume pedal afterward, THEN the Naughty Fish. Since the input gain is the threshold control, the volume pedal will work like an expression pedal for the filter. Pretty neat, huh? I set it to a super short decay and a fairly high attack, and put the gain where it would pretty much hard slam the envelope a little below max on the VP. It's in band pass mode, sweeping up, and in lo mode. Among other things, I was able to get an almost pitch shift effect when the volume pedal was all the way up, and a couple times I actually used the hum from the pickups to create the really high squawk sound. EDIT: Forgot to say that it's running into a simulated leslie cabinet instead of a bass amp.

The synth is sorta taking the spiritual spot of a penny whistle (our new bass player whistle), but the only E whistle I can find is 50 freaking dollars. He plays flute, too, but, go figure, E is a very difficult key on flute as well.

P.S. apologies for the canned drums, it's one instrument I can't play.

Shrtyska9

Jon that enclosure looks phenomenal! Makes me wish I could draw things other than stick figures.

Richard

Richard

brejna

Love it.. This definitely deserves classic demo of yours. These mods are very interesting...

Hogharry

Great build! I think it works really well in a folk song, which I enjoyed very much indeed.

Now I have to fight off the urge to take up Morris dancing and to build a Mutron!
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...