News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

using a smaller shaft pot in a larger hole?

Started by thesameage, November 05, 2014, 06:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesameage

I am replacing a pot in my jazz bass but could only find the value I needed (50k push/pull) in a smaller sized shaft pot. What can I do to use this pot, but stabilize it in the slightly larger hole?

davent

I think McMastercarr may have a bushing for the job.
I used a piece of 1/4" brass rod and a drill press to make my own 1/8" shaft to 1/4" knob adapter.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

GermanCdn

Depends how much is "slightly", and if it's a push on or a set screw type knob.

If the difference in diameters is small (i.e. you could measure it with calipers but it's not visually apparent) and it's a set screw type knob, you could build up the shaft with heat shrink tubing  fairly easily. 

Otherwise, go with Dave's suggestion.

EDIT - if it's just the diameter of the hole in the pickguard/control plate you're worried about, a second larger flat washer will do the trick.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

danwelsh

Quote from: GermanCdn on November 05, 2014, 11:32:20 PM
Depends how much is "slightly", and if it's a push on or a set screw type knob.

If the difference in diameters is small (i.e. you could measure it with calipers but it's not visually apparent) and it's a set screw type knob, you could build up the shaft with heat shrink tubing  fairly easily. 

Otherwise, go with Dave's suggestion.

EDIT - if it's just the diameter of the hole in the pickguard/control plate you're worried about, a second larger flat washer will do the trick.

That's a wicked awesome idea for the heat shrink tubing......I bet I'll use that someday. Thanks.

hoodoo

Why f@#k about, go to ebay and buy the right one, fix it once and fix it right.  :)

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

hoodoo

;D Either that, or i'm sure Curtis could send you one, from one of the 100? plus guitars he's not currently playing at this very moment  ;)