News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tayda Parts Quality

Started by claytushaywood, November 05, 2014, 06:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddyfox

All knurled shaft 16mm I have are like that, I just figured it's the nature of the beast and I get push-on knobs when I know I'm gonna be building with those. Solid shaft 16mm use single screw knobs no problem.
Tayda or otherwise.

But it's a great pointer for noob builders, wobbly knobs can really trigger one's OCD.  ;D

alanp

I buy a lot of stuff from Tayda.

Not open jacks, though. Or 1900H knobs -- sick of the threads stripping. I get my 1900H's from Erthenvar these days.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

flanagan0718

OOOOO Another Tayda thread! Here's my two pennies

The Good:
- Resistors (Metal Film, the blue ones)
- Box Caps (I don't test them but make sure to check the markings)
- Jacks open frame
- DC Jacks
- LEDs
- Sockets
- Stranded wire is ok
- Monolithic Ceramic Caps
- Toggle switches are good in a pinch
- Diodes (1n4001, 1n4148, and 1n914)
- Opamps (TL07x, Tl06x, ect. I've even had good luck with the PTs and some others)
- Enclosures are ok
- General purpose Transistors are good (2n3906,2n3904, 2n590x, BC5xx ect)
- Pots both 9mm and 16mm are fine.

Thats what I have had decent luck on. Now that I've been doing this for a little bit I use multiple vendors and distributors.

BLMS- Enclosures, switches, jacks, and knobs
site (might be NSFW due to the name) http://www.bitcheslovemyswitches.com/

Paul (chromesphere on this forum)- Transistors, resistors, ICs, Panisonic and box caps, Diodes, and Wire.
Site http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/

Pedal Parts Plus - All their parts are good. Beautiful powder coated enclosures and the have really good sales from time to time. Plus Connie is a sweetheart! Shipping might be a little pricey but the jolly ranchers make up for it!
Site http://www.pedalpartsplus.com/

Mklec - I haven't ordered from them but other here seem to have good luck
site http://www.mklec.com/

Amazon and EBay - Kind of a crap shoot for some parts but I've received some good stuff from EBay. Just be careful of the seller. (if the name is "goodseller15" or "goldendeal56" for example steer clear or ask if anyone here has purchased from them, just in case)

I have yet to order from SmallBear or Mouser but they seem to be good as well. I did place a couple orders from Mammoth but wasn't thrilled with the parts quality (felt like I was over paying for Tayda quality IMO).

mgwhit

Quote from: raulduke on November 05, 2014, 03:07:00 PM
Is it time for a 'sticky' thread where we can post good suppliers?

The problem is that we all already know the good suppliers, we're just continually tempted by the cheap prices of the bad suppliers.

(I will add, however, that no single "good" supplier ever has every part I need for a given set of builds.  Another thing that leads me down the dark path of Tayda every now and then.)

I would second everything lace said (above) about what you can reliably source from Tayda.

raulduke

Quote from: mgwhit on November 05, 2014, 04:16:10 PM
Quote from: raulduke on November 05, 2014, 03:07:00 PM
Is it time for a 'sticky' thread where we can post good suppliers?
The problem is that we all already know the good suppliers, we're just continually tempted by the cheap prices of the bad suppliers.

I was aiming more at us EU guys rather than US.

Eg. Bitsbox is really useful for 9mm pots in EU, but a lot of guys don't seem to know they stock them.

If I was in the US, I would probably just order most stuff from Small Bear and Mouser and have done with it.

I agree though; the call of a bargain, however dodgy it looks, is often hard to resist!

mgwhit

upthepunxxx

Never had trouble with the Marshall Style knobs. However I went through like 5 of these the other day, DAVIES 1510 CLONE BLACK KNOB. First I realized a couple I ordered didn't ship with set screws. Then one I did try the screws just turned to dust. I want even cracking on them that hard. One after another. Finally dug out the same style ones I had leftover from a small bear order and they worked great!
Wake up and smell the noise!!

pickdropper

The problem I had with the Marshall style knobs is that there was enough of a color shift from knob to knob they didn't match.  I am admittedly particular, however.  I ended up throwing them aside and buying some from Small Bear which were much nicer quality.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

upthepunxxx

totally forgot about that! That bugged the heck out of me. Once you put them next to eachother on a build the different shades stuck out like a sore thumb. Totally whack!

Quote from: pickdropper on November 05, 2014, 09:10:31 PM
The problem I had with the Marshall style knobs is that there was enough of a color shift from knob to knob they didn't match.  I am admittedly particular, however.  I ended up throwing them aside and buying some from Small Bear which were much nicer quality.
Wake up and smell the noise!!

blearyeyes

Don't know if it makes a difference where you are located. Ordering from California/US parts are shipped from Colorado/US.
The Metal resistors always come in under the 1% spec, from my experience, and they are cheaper than dirt.
For sure they get the cheapest stuff they can find, but I haven't had any glaring failures due to parts.

Now if somebody opened a shop right in between Tayda and the others in price, and had all the stuff we need in one place...

"Blearyeyes DIY Parts, Music Scoring and Brewery"

What do ya think?

electrosonic

I buy some stuff from Tayda
resistors
caps
pots

Some stuff from Smallbear (I would buy more but shipping to Canada is expensive) where I think Tayda isn't good enough
Jacks
Knobs
Switches
Pots I can't find at Tayda

+ miscellaneous finds on eBay

I test all the resistors and caps  before I solder them using a cheap component tester found on eBay (many other sellers too)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Transistor-Tester-Capacitor-ESR-Inductance-Resistor-LCR-Meter-NPN-PNP-/291041497713?hash=item43c36cd271

The tayda passives components are usually in spec though most circuits do not require precise values for electrolytics

Andrew.