News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My latest toy...

Started by peAk, November 05, 2014, 12:39:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

Another thing I have been doing lately is playing with my new toy.

I was hesitant to buy the Korg MS-20 Mini because I used to play a vintage one and loved it. After going back and forth and basically deciding it was a no-brainer for $500, I did the plunge.

I thought the smaller keys would bother me but they don't. If it was a poly synth and I was playing chords, it might be different. That coupled with the fact that it has midi in! I can use my full size midi controller to play it if I need to.

This thing sounds every bit as good as the vintage one. Of course if I had the choice, I would choose a vintage one because of the size but it just isn't worth 3X the price IMO.

Sorry for the bad pics

alanp

Oooo, nice :)

How much functionality does the patch bay add to it?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

raulduke

Ooh very nice indeed!

I was tempted by these when they released.

I've since gone down the dark wormhole of Eurorack.... my Mini Brute was my 'enabler'  ;D

RobA

I've been continuously tempted by this thing since it was announced. It looks like so much fun. I have to keep myself from getting it so I'll work on some DIY synth stuff.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

peAk

Quote from: alanp on November 05, 2014, 04:13:46 AM
Oooo, nice :)

How much functionality does the patch bay add to it?

Honestly Alan, the patching pretty much makes it and separates it from the rest of the synths of it's kind. I think it would still kickass even if you didn't have the patching but the patching adds at least 50% (or more) to it.

Quote from: raulduke on November 05, 2014, 10:06:58 AM
Ooh very nice indeed!

I was tempted by these when they released.

I've since gone down the dark wormhole of Eurorack.... my Mini Brute was my 'enabler'  ;D

Yeah I follow the modular/ rack stuff you guys have been building and that's where I want to go. I just needed some instant gratification. I used to have a lot of analogs synths but sold them about 8 years ago, I have since been just using soft synths. While soft synths are cool and have their place, they just aren't the same. I have a software version of the MS-20 and played these together just to compare and it really wasn't even close. Even at 96khz the soft synth just sounded "fizzy" on the top end. Similar to using an amp sim vs. a true tube amp.

I definitely want to get into the eurorack stuff you guys are doing though.