News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Gristleizer

Started by LaceSensor, November 02, 2014, 05:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Built this after having the PCB for a couple of years.

The effect is somewhat esoteric; it needs some adjustment between waveform settings, and some settings have background ticking, but that seems to be the nature of the beast.
My version has a blinking green LED on the left which is always "on" to represent the speed of the oscillator. I added a trim to the PCB to allow you to decide how bright you want it, if it becomes annoying.
The bypass LED on the right goes on and off with the bypass footswitch, obviously, but is a dual colour LED, and will be orange or red depending on whether the pedal is in VCA or VCF mode, selectable by the left footswitch. Neat.

Edit -managed to tweak out the bad ticking. Removed the optional 10uF cap, does nothing. Changed the decoupling caps on the power rails to 470uF, and rebiased the shape and offset. Now, assuming a useable bias setting on the front panel, you no longer have to tweak knobs / rebias between changing waveforms. Note, I didnt use a scope, just ears and some luck.

Im not gonna keep it so if anyone wants its let me know... ;)

selfdestroyer

Super clean build. This is definitely a unique effect for sure. Not for everyone. I have the most fun with it when I run a signal gen through it with delays and reverbs after it. Creat instant madness.

Cody

LaceSensor

Quote from: selfdestroyer on November 02, 2014, 05:43:38 PM
Super clean build. This is definitely a unique effect for sure. Not for everyone. I have the most fun with it when I run a signal gen through it with delays and reverbs after it. Creat instant madness.

Cody

hmm, I cant say I do a lot of that kinda stuff but I can see how it would work.
Its certainly a cool effect now I have taken more time to dial it in.
Needs a modicum of tweeking to get it to sound "right" - otherwise there was a lot of tick, and the waveforms werent even and needed re-biasing between selections.

bcalla

Nice work, and great idea putting the VCA/VCF on a footswitch. 

The big problem is that if you change the settings you need to re-bias.  However, lock in a setting you like and it's loads of fun.

Cortexturizer

I have no idea what this effect is but the wiring on that one is SICK.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

LaceSensor

Quote from: bcalla on November 03, 2014, 01:59:06 AM
Nice work, and great idea putting the VCA/VCF on a footswitch. 

The big problem is that if you change the settings you need to re-bias.  However, lock in a setting you like and it's loads of fun.

Hi

Yeah this is the case unless you properly align the internal trimpots
Dino2t mentioned elsewhere that once you acheive this (easiest done with an oscilloscope of course) you dont need to tweak the bias between changing settings

I think I have pretty much achieved that by ear, need to playtest more, but as of last night it all works great and sounds nuts.

flanagan0718

Looks great, I was thinking of getting one of these PCBs...Demo?