News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD

Started by PhiloB, October 18, 2014, 09:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

Arbor Les Paul copy.  Picked it up for $25 on CL.  It was a mess.  Had a kill switch in the place of the toggle.  Guy reamed out the tone pot hole to put the toggle switch.  With advice from the forum I fixed the gaping hole with a dowel. I replaced all the pots and knobs.  Put in a set of Duncan Performer Buck Shot (Distortions made in Korea) that I had laying around.  Total of about $70 tied up in it.  My 8 year old has been asking for a guitar - now he has one!
Before:

After:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flanagan0718

Wow this looks great! A set neck LP copy for $25. What a steal!

PhiloB

Yeah, he had ragged it out but not in anyway that couldn't be fixed though.  No real noticeable cosmetic issues.

culturejam

Nice save!!

Looks pretty slick. How's she play?
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

PhiloB

Really plays well surprisingly.  I'll need to replace the nut (plastic and cut too deep)..  It buzzes slightly when you bang the strings.  Not a big deal and not high on the priority list.
I owned a epiphone LP for a couple years and this one plays as well and actually sounds better (better clarity) than the Epi.  I'm pretty excited:)

cooder

Indeed a great save, well done!
BigNoise Amplification

aballen

gtr2

Cool! Way to keep it alive :)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

AntKnee

I like the black binding. Great deal.
I scored an Epi SG for $30 of craigslist. Similar situation, ragged on and beat up. Turned it back into something playable, just like you did.
You gotta love a cool $25 guitar!
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

PhiloB

Thanks guys for sharing in the excitement .  Strap button holes were stripped as well but finally have it repaired and new buttons on there.  It's ready to rock!!

pickdropper

Personally, I think you should've gone the other way and added MORE push buttons.  That and LEDs.  Lots of LEDs.  Make it look like the guitar equivalent of Shatner's control room in Airplane 2.

On second thought, it looks pretty good as is.  Great save.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

PhiloB

Good call Pickdropper!  Led strip instead of black binding.  A kill switch for each string.  Fur on the headstock.  Braided leather straps hanging from each knob.  Boy i really dropped the ball on that one.
Makes me think of a van that I see around town-millions of add-ons and stickers and horns and what-not.  In fact, there has been at least one of those in every town I've lived in!  [end tangential thought]

lars

I.....can't-believe you would sug-gest suuuchhh.........crazy ideas.

Leevibe

Nice score and nice save! Throw on some robo-tuners and a flat panel display, give it Bluetooth so it can sync to your mobile devices and you're set. Your boy will love it!

pickdropper

Quote from: lars on October 21, 2014, 03:53:41 PM

I.....can't-believe you would sug-gest suuuchhh.........crazy ideas.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper