News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Any reason to use BURR-BROWN OPA2604 opamps?

Started by blearyeyes, October 17, 2014, 07:08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blearyeyes

Is there any reason to use BURR-BROWN OPA2604 op-amps say for a Compressor or other clean effect? Really expensive but specs look interesting.

jubal81

I've been using the OPA2134 lately and I like it a lot. Quiet and warm.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

RobA

Quote from: blearyeyes on October 17, 2014, 07:08:44 AM
Is there any reason to use BURR-BROWN OPA2604 op-amps say for a Compressor or other clean effect? Really expensive but specs look interesting.

I bought a few of them to do a headphone amp/splitter box with where they are a nice choice on the low end of the op amps designed for that type of job. They are good at being very clean and driving the output load and capacitance   in that kind of setting. I've played with them a bit in some effects circuits. Compressor, chorus, EQ ... a few other places I figured they'd be good. I've even tried them in a few distortion circuits. Personally, I didn't think they added anything to anything I tried them in over what I had already selected for that circuit, with one possible exception. There are two things about them that I think limit them a bit for guitar circuits. They seem to like split rail supplies and they need headroom. The one exception was using it in a split rail +/-9V EQ I was working on. They did work really well there.

Basically, my impression is that they are really nice op-amps, but for most everything we do, there are better, cheaper alternatives.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

RobA

Quote from: jubal81 on October 17, 2014, 12:34:59 PM
I've been using the OPA2134 lately and I like it a lot. Quiet and warm.

I like the 2134 too. I've got it in choruses, EQ's, compressors, and even a couple of distortion circuits.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

blearyeyes

I'll pick up a few OPA2134s for the clean stuff...