News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Any other DE wet shavers out there?

Started by Leevibe, September 01, 2014, 06:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

At work we order in packs of 25 or 50 Solingen razor blades, for the cutters on the chain for the smallgoods (the razor blades are mounted on the cutter brackets, so you have two hands free. They're at the bottom of a deep U that fingers can't fit down at all.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Haberdasher

Quote from: davent on September 23, 2014, 02:47:56 AM
Quote from: Haberdasher on September 23, 2014, 02:11:58 AM
Ooo-wee.  It took me over a dozen shaves to get the smell of Tabac out of my badger.  Never again for me.

^^I just realized that's probably sig-worthy^^

I think that's what sold me on the Tabac- great shave reviews but love/hate on the scent, had to see for myself, figured if it was too floral or off for me i've two females in the house who's legs might appreciate the cushioned shave. My wife says she really likes the scent although her head is plugged solid with a cold. Hmmm... floral with a touch of Tide laundry detergent, we'll see, i've a spare brush.
i did the same thing.  i bought a stick of tabac to try, thinking i'd like it.  that didn't happen for me.
i don't detect floral with tide.  i get a long elevator ride with someone's grandma wearing half a can of aerosol hairspray.  but opinions do vary and i hope it works for you  ;)

if you want something that smells amazing try barber shop from mikes natural soaps.  it doesn't smell like a barber shop to me.  i can't describe what it smells like.  just awesome.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

davent

That's funny, luckily an infrequent rider of elevators so haven't had the pleasure of such an encounter but will be on the lookout.

Bookmarked the Mike's page, will see how his cross border shipping might affect things, thanks!

Tried one of the pre-shaves on half my face this morning, maybe a little slicker then the untreated side, like the scent of that one, Razorock.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

zilla

So on a recent trip back to visit my folks, I ended up coming back with literally 20 or so straight razors that my dad used to use in his previous life when he was a barber.

Most of them are fairly simple, but there are a few really nice ones with carved bone or wood handles.

I have no experience with straight razors other than being on the receiving end of a shave..

any tips on how to clean them up and restore them?

zenless

Quote from: zilla on September 25, 2014, 02:42:50 PM
So on a recent trip back to visit my folks, I ended up coming back with literally 20 or so straight razors that my dad used to use in his previous life when he was a barber.

Most of them are fairly simple, but there are a few really nice ones with carved bone or wood handles.

I have no experience with straight razors other than being on the receiving end of a shave..

any tips on how to clean them up and restore them?

I'd recommend having someone else re-edge them. The blades would need to be evened out and sharpened properly with the correct grit levels. People collect those stones and love to use them. There are a few folks out there that do good work. I'd recommend going to badgerandblade.com and look around.

I used to love collecting safety razors, but decided to grow a beard instead. Down to one vintage safety razor, couple of brushes and soaps that'll probably not get used in the future..

icecycle66

DE shaving?
Never heard of it.

After a few years of going through all the different blade types, I think Gillette Bleue Extra's are the best.
Too bad they're out of production now.

You guys should also check out single edge Gem razors. Next to my Merker butterfly, the Gem is my favorite.
They use those single sided industrial type blades.

Truth is I didn't actually buy a most of the razors. A few months after I started DE my wife's grandfather died an he had a box of "mojo" razors and stuff like that. It was either me take them and put them to good use or throw them away.

davent

Heeere we go!

Over the first four days tried using the preshaves i bought with the soap & creams i have shaving with the Trac II, a new blade installed on the first day. Shave improved... probably due more to just paying attention for the first time. The cushioning was so extreme on a few lathers that the Trac II floated over the face here and there without slicing anything off, lots more pressure needed.

Fifth day (Saturday) dropped an Astra SP in the razor, Razorock preshave on the face after a shower then TOBS cream lather and the first very tentative DE stroke... smooth! Get the angle of the blade right, let the weight of the razor alone apply the pressure and it's smooth and very clean with that slight audable buzz of hairs being sliced off effortlessly. First shave was a one pass with touch up, what do you mean you lather up again and shave in a new direction, never would have occured to me. I was stingy with the cream so no go for a second round and didn't want to press my luck. Alum block revealed one stinger on my lower neck but got a better shave then i've ever had from a cartridge, able to shave spots in one pass that were always a fight and missed with the cartridge. Rubbed in a bit of the 3P, post shave, cool & refreshing.

Second day exact same setup but more cream so could dare a second round. Never have i reversed the direction of the neck shave, with the grain always but today tried against on the second pass, bit of red irritation on the lower neck again but touch wood, no blood anywhere yet.

Far far better results then ever had with the cartridge... sold Lee! My wife was equally impressed, my daughter rolls her eyes, "you're obsessed dad". So it would seem permission to break the bank!

The transition from face/chin is going to take some figuring and the Adam's Apple is worrying but the biggest hurdle is being able to practice only once every 24 hours.

Haberdasher, did a cartridge shave with the Tabac and the lather was great... and i just may be a fanboy of that divisive scent.

It seems to me that none of the products i've messed with so far have a scent that lingers for very long after shaving, that's no doubt a good thing.

Thanks Lee and others for the awakening!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?