News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Have you ever heard about Steelphon amps?

Started by HailToTheBlues, September 18, 2014, 02:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HailToTheBlues

Hi guys,
I found a guy who's selling an italian amp from the 70's from Steelphon amps, a steelphon phantom, but i never heard of that brand and can't find any information about it. The guy says it resembles a fender bassman tweed, but i would like to know more about the brand, before getting in touch with the guy, since he's kinda far from where i am.

This is the link to the amp, but it is a portuguese site so i'll translate the description: http://saoclemente.olx.pt/steelphon-phantom-valve-tube-reverb-tremolo-bend-iid-443639093

"Steelphon Phantom, 70's, has 40 watts valve, was fully restored, amplifier made in Italy, American amps style, resembles a fender bassman 'tweed'.
Has the common effects from the 70's, tremolo (depth, speed) and also has spring reverb. Over the 4 inputs (2 inputs per channel) are 4 switches ON-OFF: bright, reverb, bright, bend. Being "bright", like a treble boost. There is one for each channel. Was found and set the original 'Steelphon' plate of the cabinet, it can be seen in the last picture.

Valve Amplifier: circ. Power - 1 x ECC82 + 4x EL84 Circ.s Pre 2x - 1 x ECC83 each circ. Tremolo - 1 x ECC81 circ. Distortion - 1 x ECC83 circ.de Reverb - 1 x 86 ECL Total of 10 valves. The only original valve is the ECL86, the rest were already replaced."

The 760 dollar price is for both the cabinet and head.

So tell me what you guys think?

Best Regards

jubal81

I've never heard of it, but looks like a pretty good bargain to me.
40-watt tube amp with reverb, tremolo and a cab - and its appearance is nice. It's really hard to beat that. You can always mod the circuit if you want.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

slimtriggers

HailToTheBlues

No idea, the description doesn't tell that, but i could ask the guy about that.

HailToTheBlues

He said that either could be Original Steelphon speakers or some american Marlboro (don't know either brands)

selfdestroyer

That thing looks so cool. That thing would look amazing on my green shag rug lol

Cody