News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Does your Serendipity sound like a dark boost?

Started by selfdestroyer, September 18, 2014, 10:17:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

Then you probably did what I did... enjoy my little story of mess up.

I built a Serendipity for my father and loved it so I decided to make myself one also.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=15285.msg143849#msg143849

I kind of rushed the build (I'm making up excuses at this point) and did not "rock it before I boxed it" since I just built one 24 hours earlier and I said to myself "I got this!"

Boxed it up and even put velcro on the damn thing and stuck it to my board and fired it up and I enjoyed the smooth sounds of a ugly dark sounding boost/very low low gain OD pedal. In all of its glory I pulled it off my board and checked a few of the usual culprits and did not see anything amiss. Thrown to the side since I had to many projects in play it sat.

forward 4 months and some change later. I opened the thing up since I was planing to finally troubleshoot it and low and behold I found the problem. I mixed up the Tone (supposed to be 50kB) and Gain (supposed to be 500KB) so that explained it.

If I would have never boxed it when I was testing it I would have most likely seen that right off the bad.

Thought I would share my pain since when I read stories like this it helps me remember to check such things in my troubleshooting. All in all, keep on building and keep on failing... helps us all learn.

Cody

wgc

I think I did the same mistake with my neutrino. It was my 3rd build and there was a "black" version so it made it even weirder since I did the burst. Couldn't imagine what anyone would use a darker version for. I found it because I also wired the pot backwards.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

flanagan0718

Did this with a Rebote 2.5. I mixed up the Level and Delay pots. I was wondering why it was so quiet. (hand...forehead) dummy :-\