News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cap value question

Started by junkemail86, May 01, 2011, 12:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkemail86

Sorry for the stupid question, but I have a bag of box capacitors (I think from Futurlec) that I don't know the value of.  Markings on top say: u1J100  as in [micro sign] 1J100

Are these 1 uf?

Thanks!

Haberdasher

Sounds like they could be 1uF 100v caps with a 5% tolerance.  Are they about twice the size of your other box caps?  If so, that's probably right, but that's all I can tell you.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jkokura

They could also be 100nF.

If you have a multi meter with a capacitance setting, you could check and see for sure.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

bigmufffuzzwizz

Usually when its u1 it would mean .1 uf so that would be 100 nf. Your multimeter is the only way to really tell. And with capacitors it helps to not hold it while measure otherwise you'll find the value "growing" or jumping around.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Haberdasher

Yep- upon further review, I have some WIMA caps here that say u1k63 and they are 100n 63v 10% tol.  If the cap is a red WIMA that's prolly what you have, except yours would be 100n (0.1uF) 100v 5% tolerance.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

junkemail86

Thanks a lot!
They look like red WIMA caps (or might be lookalikes, there is no stamping on the side just on the top).  Either way, I think you are all right about them being 0.1 uf.  Now I have a bag of useful caps.  Thanks again!

bigmufffuzzwizz

I'm jealous. Futurlec didn't send me wima's for my 0.1 uf caps because I ordered in bulk. They sent the blue caps (epcos?) but I know they have them! They sent me 5 mistakenly in the 0.01 uf package!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals