News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

probably a dumb question

Started by angrykoko, September 07, 2014, 09:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angrykoko

So I have a chimera board I was getting ready to order parts for when I wandered upon a TGP very long thread about the Mythical Overdrive and how it was the best of the clones.  18 pages in and all I could sort of gather was that the builder used "quality parts" .

So, before I order parts, anyone know what quality parts might mean/be to achieve this best of the clones?  I'd like to build a cool clone too :)

Or maybe to ask this another way.. which parts should I maybe order multiples of to get close to x value ?

Thanks!

Koko

PS> I mean no disrespect to ComfortPlayer, I'm just curious and would like to learn the difference in parts mfgr's etc.
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

mremic01

Nothing special about the Mythical Overdrive's parts. Xicon metal film resistors. Those are pretty standard for DIY pedals. Some MOs have a lot of Tayda (Faratronic) box caps. Those are cheap, but good. Some have a lot of Kemet box caps. Those are probably a bit pricier, but also good. Most seem to mix Tayda and Kemet box caps. The pF caps are usually TDK MLCCs. The Electros are Nichicon Audio Grade, which still isn't terribly fancy, and I'd bet you couldn't hear a difference between those and regular electros.

For the most part, I use the same stuff in my klones. None of it is fancy. But none of it is crap either. All the hype over the Mythical Overdrive is really jusy hype. It's no more accurate than other klones. Same circuit. Middle-of-the-road but decent components.

juansolo

Just stick with decent quality kit for all your builds. For us that mean Panasonic caps. I tend to avoid the Tayda stuff these days as the quality has nosedived.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

mremic01

Tayda stuff is really hit or miss. They're cheap enough that I don't mind spending a few cents here and there to try see some of their parts first hand. I think the RimRock guy must do the same thing, cause it looks like we've settled on the same parts from Tayda and gone elsewhere for parts where Tayda's are lacking. I've got goodly stock of Tayda resistors, but only use them when in a pinch. They work, and are dirt cheap, but feel chinsy.

Panasonic, really? You'd think they'd be consistently better than the Tayda/Faratronics box caps, but I've been more consistently happy with my all Tayda cap builds than my all Panasonic ECQ builds. The Taydas often look fugly on the outside, but they're always in spec, and I expect the dialectrics are pretty much the same.

I wish they sold undipped caps: http://www.faratronic.com/Upfile_pro/sphoto/20071221171110810.jpg

blearyeyes

That is a great question!

I use a lot of Tayda stuff and have yet to have an issue with it. I'm in the US and they ship from Colorado.
Some stuff is not as good as you will get from Small Bear or other premium places but I'm a cheapskate. LOL
Small bear has better knobs than Tayda. Mouser is a giant place and not the cheapest BUT they have minimum requirements from their vendors guaranteeing the components meet spec.  still.. Depends on what you're doing.. look at beans list of vendors under links and explore, you will get the feel of it..

angrykoko

Thanks!

I think mremic01's answer is the one I was looking for. 

I know I should know better than to think there is some magical substance (besides unicorn tears and card tables of course) but that thread and then someone here (selfdestroyer maybe..) saying that he was upgrading to more premium parts, grumblings aobut Tayda, etc.;  well.. it just got me wondering.

Thanks for the reply's and reality check.

Koko
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.