News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tube Screamer - Will it work on a bass guitar?

Started by satrian, September 03, 2014, 01:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

satrian

Hey guys. I was just wondering about the 808 OSP and if that would work on a bass guitar. I'm thinking probably the input/output caps need replacement but I wanted to ask for your input on it. Anyone has tried this yet?

thesameage

Short answer: no. In its very simple form, it's a treble/mids booster and that doesn't really work for bass guitar to achieve what you're probably setting out to do, which is to have an overdrive which stands out in the mix but retains the low end. Long answer: you can make it work. Clean blend/bigger input output caps, etc.. There are things that can be done and it will sound fine.

However, if you are looking for a bass overdrive, there are probably better circuits to go to that will give you much better results right off the bat rather than doing a bunch of gymnastics to make it work. Look at the SFT Ampeg overdrive clones to start.

GermanCdn

Will it work?  Yes.  How will it sound?  Depends on the rest of your rig.  TS pedals sound better in front of tube amps, so if you're running a hybrid bass amp (like a SWR) it's going to do a better job than a SS unit.  Some cap values will need to be changed, Jimilee's probably done it.  It wouldn't be my first choice for a bass driver.

If you're looking for an overdrive designed for bass, Jacob's (jmkpcbs) got the Bass overdrive which does a really good job.  Throw in a blend board, and you've got a pretty good overdrive.

Welcome to the forum.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

satrian

Thanks for the input. I'll take a look at your recommendations.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.