News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

This irks me

Started by Leevibe, August 27, 2014, 05:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

I'm getting tired of seeing PT2399 delays advertised as analog delays. I checked the MF stupid deal of the day and they had a Jet City "The Flood" 'analog' delay pedal listed for $50. I keep seeing this. Last time it was a Rogue brand pedal. I think it's more than misleading to unsuspecting guitarists. If I weren't into pedal building, I would be excited to get a genuine analog delay for such a low price. They even mention in the ad copy that it's a PT2399 chip.

I recently saw another delay pedal (I can't remember which now) that was billed as analog, but then a couple paragraphs into the ad mentioned that there was real analog circuitry in addition to the digital PT2399 chip. OF COURSE THERE WAS ANALOG CIRCUITRY!! This is just outright lying and many guitarists are being duped, not knowing that they couldn't even buy a true analog BBD chip for the cost of one of these pedals.

I have no problem with the PT2399 chip. I think it's great. I don't even have a problem selling a pedal with one in it as being "analog voiced." But I think it's highway robbery to sell them as "analog delays." MF and the other resellers who carry these know better!

alanp

It's the CMOT Dibbler school of salesmanship. "Pork is pig, pig is pork, what's the difference?"

What annoys ME is the crappy barbeque reggae the girls at work play. What is that?

Okay, imagine you've been invited to a summer barbeque. You REALLY don't want to go, but if you want home happiness you have to. Once you're there, the only thing there is to do for two or three hours is drink... but you still have to drive home, so you can't. The only thing there is to do is listen to bad, bad, bad reggae (almost always some variant on a crappy love song, or a song purely about the glories of reggae music itself) and try not to listen to everyone else gossipping.

Oh, and the 'orrible R&B. I'm sure there is good R&B out there, just like I like old Bob Marley, but if there is the girls at work are not interested in it.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

GermanCdn

Quote from: alanp on August 27, 2014, 05:26:45 PM
It's the CMOT Dibbler school of salesmanship. "Pork is pig, pig is pork, what's the difference?"

What annoys ME is the crappy barbeque reggae the girls at work play. What is that?

Okay, imagine you've been invited to a summer barbeque. You REALLY don't want to go, but if you want home happiness you have to. Once you're there, the only thing there is to do for two or three hours is drink... but you still have to drive home, so you can't. The only thing there is to do is listen to bad, bad, bad reggae (almost always some variant on a crappy love song, or a song purely about the glories of reggae music itself) and try not to listen to everyone else gossipping.

Oh, and the 'orrible R&B. I'm sure there is good R&B out there, just like I like old Bob Marley, but if there is the girls at work are not interested in it.

I'm guessing you're still drinking at the barbeque as you posted this? ???
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

muddyfox

Hahaha CMOT Dibbler! Haven't read TP in years!

midwayfair

At those prices, they're cutting their own throat anyway. :)

They're about as analog as bucket brigade. Tape is the only truly analog delay. Bucket Brigade chips are driven by a clock supply that spits out a completely square wave of a certain voltage, so they don't function without digital circuitry. They even have inherent latency. Half of the PT2399 is basically just op amps.

There are better things to get irked about.

Leevibe

Quote from: midwayfair on August 27, 2014, 05:56:41 PM
At those prices, they're cutting their own throat anyway. :)

They're about as analog as bucket brigade. Tape is the only truly analog delay. Bucket Brigade chips are driven by a clock supply that spits out a completely square wave of a certain voltage, so they don't function without digital circuitry. They even have inherent latency. Half of the PT2399 is basically just op amps.

There are better things to get irked about.

You raise a fair point. Still, what bothers me is less about the finer points of how the circuit works and more about what I believe is purposeful misdirection. And, yes, there are many other things far more deserving of getting irked over. :)

culturejam

I'll agree with Lee on this.

The average pedal buyer sees "analog delay" and assumes "BBD-based delay". From a player's perspective, these two phrases are synonymous.

The ad copy isn't strictly a lie, but I believe it is intentionally misleading. It is playing on the knowledge that people will read "analog" and assume "BBD". It's a shitty trick.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

atreidesheir

like 'friends with benefits'.

But there are also the 'digital delay's with pt2399 ic's that some people are upset about because they sound dark and analog.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

GermanCdn

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Jet City delay is just a Biyang delay with a different paint job, which is what the initial GFS delays were (and the Akai's were/are), which Jay got no end of grief on at the beginning because the first batch was labelled as Analog.  What's my point?  Jay was selling them for about the same price as the Jet City's are being blown out for now, and the Akai's were originally $200+, now also $60.  No one's losing too much money on the deal methinks.

You know what irks me?  I just had to choose between fishing part of my belt buckle out a public toilet or have my pants fall down during an important meeting, and there was no soap in the bathroom.....
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

cooder

Quote from: GermanCdn on August 27, 2014, 10:30:59 PM

You know what irks me?  I just had to choose between fishing part of my belt buckle out a public toilet or have my pants fall down during an important meeting, and there was no soap in the bathroom.....
... and was it a cheap knock off belt buckle sold as a supposed vintage real deal?
Was it a SSB (SweatShopBuckle)...?
Can we de-goop and trace it? :o
BigNoise Amplification

Muadzin

At $50 anyone can know you're not getting a real BBD analog delay. In the end you always get what you pay for. If you're not willing to spend a little research online to find out whats the cheapest  BBD delay out there you deserve to get ripped off. Whsts next? Needing a new car and buying tje first one you come across?

You want real annoyance? Try using an Iranian squat toilet when you have to go numbet two.

davent

I always found squat toilets beneficial for the ease of maximum evacuation, also great for reinforcing balancing skills, deep knee bends, can eliminate a set a squats from the days workout...

Fast food and sit down toilets... no wonder we're soft.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Muadzin

Quote from: davent on August 28, 2014, 04:55:46 AM
I always found squat toilets beneficial for the ease of maximum evacuation, also great for reinforcing balancing skills, deep knee bends, can eliminate a set a squats from the days workout...

Fast food and sit down toilets... no wonder we're soft.

Good for you then. Ducks for me. As for being a soft westerner, I don't eat thst much fast food andunlike them sturdy Iranians I don't to have to have the airco blast the room at full hurricane gale settings. You'd think that people who are used to 46 degrees celsius weather every day don't need such extreme difference between indoor and outdoor temperatures. A lesser difference would suit me, pampered fast food eating sit down toilet using westerner just fine. ;)