News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Just got a new multi-tester you guys might like

Started by culturejam, July 08, 2014, 03:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twin1965

When using a fresh 9V battery the 5V regulator on the PCB outputs under 0.7V. It outputs 5V when using 8V. Dodgy 78L05?

How ironic: trouble shooting a tester :-\

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

icecycle66

twin1965

As far as I can tell it doesn't take into account ge transistor leakage. Although the gt108v's that I have test quite close to the RG Keen method but I think its because they have very low leakage.

It's still very useful and much quicker to use than a standard multi meter when testing components.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

culturejam

I wouldn't worry about the leakage in terms of the gain calculation. Gain is extremely relative. So if you measure a big group of trannies on the same tester, you'll have a good idea of what is going on and which ones are the cherries. Just keep the leakage in mind when picking out a transistor for a given use.

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

neutronarmy

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/

This tester is a Chinese PCB design based on an open source AVR transistor tester project. You can check out this 40+ page thread for a bunch of information about the tester - some of it from the designer. With the version linked in the first page (and very likely the cased version of the same 16x2 LCD model) you can actually upload the firmware to a version that includes some additional features and bug fixes with the addition of an ISP header (or by programming the AVR out of circuit; mine was socketed anyway).

I'm glad some pedal folks stumbled upon this tester. I've been meaning to throw the link around.

Thomas_H

I got one myself and it really is a usable tool. (Looks like in the first picture)
DIY-PCBs and projects: