News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Questions about the weener wah project

Started by HailToTheBlues, August 18, 2014, 02:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HailToTheBlues

Hi guys,
i need you to answer me some questions regarding the weener wah project: do i need a 3pdt to do the boost switch? or can i do it with a carling dpdt? also i bought a tone tank inductor from joe, how do i wire it? it has 4 leads, each one with a different size, so i know that means something,  but what?

Best regards.

jkokura

The boost switch uses either a rotary switch or an on/on/on dpdt toggle switch. You need one of those two to wire it correctly. Details are in the build doc. http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/WeenerWah/WeenerWahII.pdf

But as for the Tone tank inductor, perhaps you could message Joe and ask him to confirm for you? I will also be using that inductor for a weener wah II, so knowing would be helpful for me too.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

slacker775

Actually, the boost switch should be a DPDT.  The Whack switch should be the on-on-on switch or a rotary to select the different cap values.

HailToTheBlues

I know it is a dpdt, actually i was asking if i needed a 3pdt for activate the wah, because the boost switch is connected to a 3pdt in the weener doc.

About the inductor, i already messaged joe, and he told me to use my multimeter to measure the leads, two will not have connection with each other, and the other two should give 40-50 ohms. Then you solder those two leads to the 1 and 8 in the enclosure, the other leads are only for holding the inductor better.

slacker775

So if you want to utilize the boost portion of the circuit, the main activation switch would need to be a 3PDT.  Going by the recommended bypass-able boost diagram, IN comes to pin 9, OUT is on pin 8, and the OUT of the boost is on pin 7.  When the  wah is activated, IN goes pin 9 and is shared with pin 4 which would be connected via the switch to pin 5 to get to the board. Board out then goes to pin 7, through the DPDT and off to the out jack.  I think the only way to do this without a 3PDT is to forgo the boost entirely.

HailToTheBlues

yeah, probably there's no way to use a dpdt and do the boost mod at the same time, but i don't think i would need a boost, how is the boost switch usefull to the circuit of the weener? Isn't it just a kick in the volume, or does it do more than that?

slacker775

I think it is just a straight up boost, so it would definitely be optional.  I often have philosophical debates with myself around mods/options on a circuit in that from one side, I prefer a set-it-and-forget-it kind of mode where there aren't 500 different knobs to tweak, and a every-option-under-the-sun approach where I have every little aspect tweakable.   I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't somebody on here that hasn't made a circuit where every resistor is a trim pot and every cap is switchable!.

HailToTheBlues

i'm kinda like that also, i become confused with so many options to tweek, and usually take hours to get a good sound.

HailToTheBlues

Also, does anyone know how to wire a dpdt in the weener project?