News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Slow loris volume problem

Started by Darkknigh_t, August 14, 2014, 10:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkknigh_t

Greetings!
I've built the madbean slow loris and the volume of the pedal is very quiet in a sense that to get a louder sound than my  clean i have to turn the volume pot almost all the way up around 3 o'clock. Is that normal? what could be the issue here? :/
I would really appreciate some help here :/
Thank you!

selfdestroyer

I'll take a blind stab at this.. I would check in this order.

Make sure you pot is a 100KA and you could also mesure it with a multimeter and make sure you get close to 100K at full volume.

Next check C9 & R9 and make sure they are the proper values.

Did you try to audio prob and see if you can find where you loose volume or signal all together?

just some thoughts.

Cody

mgwhit

Also, did you use a different JFET that the 2n5457?  Might have a different pin-out.  Decent photos would be a huge help.

Darkknigh_t

Quote from: selfdestroyer on August 15, 2014, 07:00:54 AM
I'll take a blind stab at this.. I would check in this order.

Make sure you pot is a 100KA and you could also mesure it with a multimeter and make sure you get close to 100K at full volume.

Next check C9 & R9 and make sure they are the proper values.

Did you try to audio prob and see if you can find where you loose volume or signal all together?

just some thoughts.

Cody

I will recheck those parts thank you! Sadly i don't have an oscilloscope :/

Quote from: mgwhit on August 15, 2014, 12:07:26 PM
Also, did you use a different JFET that the 2n5457?  Might have a different pin-out.  Decent photos would be a huge help.
I think i used the proper ones but i will recheck thank you

So there is something wrong with the volume right? its not how it should be? I mean i have to turn it almost at 3 o'clock to get a loud enough volume than my clean signal

mgwhit

You don't need a scope -- just an audio probe -- essentially a capacitor on a jack that lets you send signal from any part of your circuit to your amp.  Check out this page.

And, yes, there is something wrong with the volume on your build.  Are you getting what sounds like normal Rat distortion otherwise?  And can you notice a difference in volume and tone when you switch between clipping diodes?

Darkknigh_t

Quote from: mgwhit on August 18, 2014, 01:38:40 PM
You don't need a scope -- just an audio probe -- essentially a capacitor on a jack that lets you send signal from any part of your circuit to your amp.  Check out this page.

And, yes, there is something wrong with the volume on your build.  Are you getting what sounds like normal Rat distortion otherwise?  And can you notice a difference in volume and tone when you switch between clipping diodes?

Yes the pedal does sound like a rat BUT one time there was no volume coming out of the pedal but that stopped after i wiggled the board a bit, its a tight fit cause of all the wires but i will recheck all of them just to be sure, changing the clipping has a slight boost in volume but just a tiny bit and that seems to be working just fine BUT there is one more issue that i don't know if its normal. So when i but the gain all the way up when i hit the strings it seems that the volume drops on me hitting the strings and then comes back up if you understand what im trying to say is that normal?

For the audio probe thank you very much i will make one :)

jimilee

Does it work out side of the enclosure?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Darkknigh_t

Quote from: jimilee on August 18, 2014, 09:06:55 PM
Does it work out side of the enclosure?
thats what i will test out today i will take it out and see whats happening. The whole dropping and rising of the volume could be tied to the low volume problem i will see and post back on whats going on :)