News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Question for Powder Coaters (oven related)

Started by irmcdermott, August 06, 2014, 04:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irmcdermott

Hey guys,

I had been powder coating for a while using just a little toaster oven. I'm starting to do some large items, like long faceplates for amps that are too long for the toaster oven. I have no 220V in my garage and really don't have the space in the garage to put a used oven. Do you think a little propane camping stove like this one would work? The 10x16x10 interior dimensions are perfect for what I need. Thing can run at 350degrees F for like 5-7 hours on 1 gallon of propane.

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-COJR-Portable-Outdoor/dp/B0078U0BTA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407343779&sr=8-2&keywords=camp+chef+oven

rullywowr

I think this would work OK however, I think you would find a better value looking for a used convection oven (craigslist etc).  They are typically larger, operate on standard US 120v, and work just fine for powder coating.  The oven you are looking at only has 16" of inside dimension.

Whatever oven you are using is just going to get roached out anyway (and obviously no food cooking in it ever) so no need to get a new fancy oven.  Also an electric oven has a less risk of fire/explosion than a propane one, especially where there is a fine mist of powder dust.  Just my 2c.   8)

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

stevie1556

You can use absolutely anything as long as it gets hot enough. I've seen someone use a halogen heater to cure the powder, although I imagine it would take a long time. I did read someone you need to be careful on what gas you use as there is an explosion risk due the the gas that comes out of the powder.

rullywowr

Quote from: stevie1556 on August 06, 2014, 06:43:50 PM
....explosion risk due the the gas that comes out of the powder.

Well, not so much the "gas" which comes out of the powder...but the powder itself.  Ever throw a handful of flour over a candle? 

Stevie is right...anything will work as long as you can fit it in there and maintain temp but do be careful.   8)

stevie1556

Quote from: rullywowr on August 06, 2014, 06:55:20 PM

Well, not so much the "gas" which comes out of the powder...but the powder itself.  Ever throw a handful of flour over a candle? 

Gas/powder, same thing :P I did mean the powder, thanks for the correction :)

I actually saw it on a show called QI  (Quite Intellectual). After watching it for years, I still don't understand the scoring system as they are usually minus points, but you learn a lot on it. They filled a tube with flour, and using a pump, blew it up over a blowtorch flame. Pretty impressive!

rullywowr

pickdropper

I would look for a used Blue M lab oven on eBay.  Most of them take 120v and they hold their temperature more consistent than cheaper ovens.

I don't know what your budget is, but you can find deals if you are patient.  You should be able to find one that is big enough for your needs, but not all are, so double check the interior dimensions.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

irmcdermott

Quote from: pickdropper on August 06, 2014, 07:48:56 PM
I would look for a used Blue M lab oven on eBay.  Most of them take 120v and they hold their temperature more consistent than cheaper ovens.

I don't know what your budget is, but you can find deals if you are patient.  You should be able to find one that is big enough for your needs, but not all are, so double check the interior dimensions.

Thanks. I will keep my eye on those. The price isn't way out of my range, will just take a little longer to build. I really just would like something like and 18" cube. Maybe I should look into building something of my own? No idea. I just know my old method of coating just isn't cutting it in my new space.

slimtriggers

I've kind of wondered if it would be possible to mod an electric smoker.  I see them used for cheap on Craigslist a lot, but usually they are too low of a temperature.  Never really seriously looked into what it would take to get one to go up to 400 deg.