News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Filling misdrilled holes

Started by catfud, August 01, 2014, 02:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catfud

I've read that some people use JB Weld to fill holes in enclosures; for those that do, is it the original epoxy adhesive that should be used, e.g. this, or one of the more exotic JB Weld products?

(because I misdrill my enclosures more often than I care to admit and want to fix them)

Any pointers would be much appreciated :-)

flanagan0718

I have pictures of the process. I've done it before. It woks but be careful putting any pressure while re-drilling any of the "repaired holes". Leave it alone for a couple of days. Here are some quick steps. I'll try and write a tutorial later.

1. Sand / clean finish off around the (miss-drilled) hole and clean enclosure afterwards.
2. Put painters tape on the inside of the enclosure (I used 3m Blue painters tape)
3. Mix JB Weld and fill the holes with mixture. I over filled them then used a piece of card board to scrape it flat.
4. LET IT DRY!!! don't mess with it
5. Sand the area flush (after fully dried) and repeat. There may be air bubbles and you might need to reapply some more JB Weld.
6. Once the repaired holes are dry and sanded paint and re-drill. As i said before be careful re-drilling. I either applied too much pressure or didn't wait long enough on one of them and had to repeat the process.

It's possible the repairs might be noticeable through the new finish but at least you didn't have to buy a new enclosure. I'll try and get a tutorial up on my blog this weekend.