News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Regulating 12v AC to 9v AC

Started by LaceSensor, July 15, 2014, 02:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Hi gang

I have a FOXROX paradox that needs 9v AC to run on.
Its so expensive and rare I am not gonna mess with it to run on DC, or try over voltaging it on 12v

Dilemma is, my PSU has a 12v AC output. I am therefore wondering how would I regulate AC down from 12 to 9v AC ?
would a 317T regulator do the job?

Any ideas / small circuit I could vero would be appreciated!

thanks

LaceSensor

edit...

ignore

flanagan0718

Could you do a roadrage in a seperate small box (like an Altoids tin) and use it to convert the voltage?

Edit: i just found this.

RobA

I'm a bit confused. According to the Paradox website, the Foxrox needs 9VAC.

Power - Paradox requires 9 Volts, AC (9VAC) in order to operate. A power adaptor is included with each unit. Don't confuse 9VAC with 9VDC, which is what you get from a 9V battery. That's what most other effects use, but not TZF. TZF's internal circuitry runs at 36Volts DC, split into plus and minus 18 Volts. Other effects that run on 9VAC include Captain Coconut 2, Digitech Whammy, Line 6 POD, and others. The power units for these effects are all interchangeable.

Does your PS put out 12VAC or is that what's DC?
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

LaceSensor

Quote from: RobA on July 15, 2014, 03:32:25 PM
I'm a bit confused. According to the Paradox website, the Foxrox needs 9VAC.

Power - Paradox requires 9 Volts, AC (9VAC) in order to operate. A power adaptor is included with each unit. Don't confuse 9VAC with 9VDC, which is what you get from a 9V battery. That's what most other effects use, but not TZF. TZF's internal circuitry runs at 36Volts DC, split into plus and minus 18 Volts. Other effects that run on 9VAC include Captain Coconut 2, Digitech Whammy, Line 6 POD, and others. The power units for these effects are all interchangeable.

Does your PS put out 12VAC or is that what's DC?

power supply puts out 12vAC
I need to make that into 9vAC

LaceSensor

Quote from: flanagan0718 on July 15, 2014, 03:28:07 PM
Could you do a roadrage in a seperate small box (like an Altoids tin) and use it to convert the voltage?

Edit: i just found this.

thats a voltage inverter, not what I need....

Govmnt_Lacky

Do you have a Digitech XP power supply? Those are 9VAC output...  ;)

LaceSensor

I have a suitable wall wart I just want to run it off the power supply....

RobA

Quote from: LaceSensor on July 15, 2014, 03:50:12 PM
[...]
power supply puts out 12vAC
I need to make that into 9vAC
A transformer with the right number of windings and the right VA rating. It probably wouldn't need to be a big transformer, but the little bitty guys that are designed for various DC/DC tasks won't work because their V/t ratings are way too small (I torched a couple trying it ;D).
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

RobA

Maybe something like this one would work,

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond-Manufacturing/229A88/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvwUzoUXIIvyQPvPmwnNFGyFPR0zXcS6jg%3d

115 to 88 is just about perfect for 12V to 9V. I don't know about the current draw of the Foxrox though. You'd need to make sure the VA rating and the current ratings on the primary and the secondaries were good. But something like it could do the job.