News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Best source for TH Jfets

Started by the3secondrule, July 14, 2014, 05:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the3secondrule

Looking to source a small stockpile of Jfets (prob 2n5457s or J201s). Probably 100 tops...
Don't wanna futz around with adaptors for SMD fets, although I'll probably start putting SMD pads on my own layouts...

Anyway, I digress :) is there any better (cheaper) source for legit TH Jfets than smallbear?

Cheers,

J
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Muadzin

There are always cheaper sources then Smallbear, or the other reliable webshops for that matter, to be found. The question however becomes if they are reliable as the overlap seems to be extremely limited, as they almost all seem to be Chinese.

Mike B.

I've noticed even Wampler has started using the SMD adapters in his more recent builds - seems to be the best way to get consistent, reliable JFETs any more. I seem to remember a few threads where members have tried to find reliable sources, but like Muadzin said they almost always turned out to be Chinese crap or barely meet specs.

pickdropper

Quote from: Mike B. on July 14, 2014, 11:42:46 AM
I've noticed even Wampler has started using the SMD adapters in his more recent builds - seems to be the best way to get consistent, reliable JFETs any more. I seem to remember a few threads where members have tried to find reliable sources, but like Muadzin said they almost always turned out to be Chinese crap or barely meet specs.

Yeah, you might save a little bit of money (although probably not as much as you'd think) buying them off of eBay, but the risk is significantly higher.  All things considered, the pricing at Small Bear is very reasonable.  For 2n5457s, Small Bear is actually cheaper than Tayda (50 cents vs. 65 cents).  For J201s, Small Bear is mildly more expensive (55 cents vs. 49 cents) but you know you'll get legit JFETs, which is certainly not always the case with Tayda.  That isn't taking any Tayda discount coupons into account, but I still think it's worth going with Small Bear.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

the3secondrule

Sweet. I had no idea on Tayda's pricing of Fets as I planned to avoid them altogether. And I figured ebay was a mixed bag as well, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on some other verified source of legit FETs.

Looks like smallbear it is then, once the 2n5457s are back in stock - I really do prefer buying most of my components from Steve, even though the shipping is a little bit steeper. Customer service + Legit parts = WIN.
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

pickdropper

Btw, 2N5457 are actually still being made by Central Semiconductor.  They can be ordered through Mouser, but the quantity commitment is high and they are barely cheaper than Small Bear.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper