News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Great deal on 1/8 watt resistors

Started by flanagan0718, July 08, 2014, 01:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanagan0718

Hey Guys,
    Recently I ordered a couple of board from Dave (Pick Dropper) and I realized that I needed some 1/8 watt resistors. Took a peak on Ebay and found this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261519619149?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Just thought anyone looking for 1/8 watt resistors might want this.

aion

One thing to note is that while they'll probably be in spec (and maybe that's all that matters) they most likely will be cheaply made and will have very thin and flimsy leads. When I was first stocking my bench I went for a couple of those eBay deals on an assortment of 1/4Ws, and have barely used any of them. I will still use them in a pinch, but I felt like I had to test every single one, and it wasn't really worth the hassle when you can get Xicons from Mouser for 0.02 each if you buy at least 200.

Just my two cents. (Which is enough to buy one resistor!)

muddyfox

Yes, if you have access to Mouser.

I don't and if I want a decent deal I have to turn to China. So I do. And since I only build for myself and friends (and my eyesight isn't what it used to be), I double check every value with a dmm. I have several of such kits (both th and smd) and very very rarely have they been out of spec.

flanagan0718

Yeah I figured they would be Tayda quality but the builds I need them for are going on my board. I just figured I'd post them if anyone needed to start a bench stock. I do like the Xicons way better. I just didn't need 200 of each value. I don't really do that many builds that require 1/8 watts. and if they do I'm one of those weird guys that likes standing 1/4 watts. ::)

Jopn

I use cheap resistors with flimsy leads all the time, including those 1/8w resistors linked.

After dozens of pedals, I've never had an effect that didn't work due to lack of robustness of the resistor lead.  Maybe I don't put as much stress and strain on component leads as some people think they do?

slacker775

Same here.  I've used tons of Tayda resistors and never had an issue.  I could certainly understand them being pretty crappy for bread boarding with the flimsy leads.

selfdestroyer

Flimsy or stiff.. I take em both (read it how you want to). I have never broke a leg or popped off a resistor after placing the part.

1/8watt resistors from Mouser always seem to add up fast when you need a bunch of values. I think the China packs are great to get your bench stocked and then use mouser for odd values you may need in a pinch. Just my opinion.

Cody

aion

The two main complaints about the flimsy leads are breadboarding (which they're pretty terrible for) and non-standard PCB mounting, such as stand-up mounting or splicing them in-line with a wire. But yeah, you won't have any trouble if you're just laying them flat.

flanagan0718

Quote from: selfdestroyer on July 09, 2014, 05:17:05 AM
Flimsy or stiff.. I take em both (read it how you want to). I have never broke a leg or popped off a resistor after placing the part.

1/8watt resistors from Mouser always seem to add up fast when you need a bunch of values. I think the China packs are great to get your bench stocked and then use mouser for odd values you may need in a pinch. Just my opinion.

Cody

Yup! I use em all too! I don't discriminate! I just couldn't justify 200 of 15 different values of 1/8 watt resistors, maybe if they were 1/4 watt. I honestly don't build 1/8 watt required boards too often and 1590A builds, tho they are amazingly impressive, frustrate the hell out of me. I usually just end up boxing them in a 1590B or something. I got my bench started with the same kind of packs. Just thought other would appreciate the link, that's all.  ;)

pickdropper

While I haven't purchased this particular kit, I did buy an 1/8W resistor kit a while back.  IIRC, it was $30 and had 50 of each value.

It was actually pretty nice quality.  Not quite as heavy leads as Xicon, but much better than the Tayda ones.  As I run out of values, I fill in with larger quantities of Xicon, because those tend to me the values I use more often.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper