News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sunking squeal problem

Started by Ward, May 16, 2011, 03:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ward

Hi, I just finished the Sunking, every thing seems to work as it should except if I turn the gain pot all the way off it squeals like a pig, if I turn the pot up to maybe 1 it stops squealing. I am using the Max 1044 CPA, not sure if it could be the chip, why the squeal only when the gain pot is off?
EDIT: brff, far out, I just noticed that it does it even with the pedal off.

Edit 2: The racket occurs when I touch gain 1 lugs 1 and 2 together which is the same as having the pot full off if that helps anyone, that's the best I can do.
You want HOW MUCH to fix it.

jkokura

Using a CPA chip will cause squeal. I haven't seen it work with one yet.

You need to use a SCPA charge pump. The 7660SCPA, TC1044SCPA, and the MAX1044SCPA are all possible options.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Ward

Rightio mate, thanks, I'll have to hunt one down.

gtr2

Maybe we can put in the build docs that the CPA will not work with bold letters.   :)
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Ward

So I ordered the ICL7660 SCPA and received ICL7660 CPA. I put it in and now I can have the gain pot off without the squeal but there is a faint high pitch oscillation and the thing is a box of snakes, the hiss is ridiculous with gain off, vol and tone at noon. So did I get the wrong chip yet again and with the correct chip will the hiss return to acceptable levels considering I have it set as a small amount of clean boost?

jkokura

Yes, you received the wrong chip again.

I don't know if the problems will go away, you have to try with the right chip. If you still have problems then, we can help you.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

bigmufffuzzwizz

Where are you ordering your chips from?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

sprayfe

Yeah man, if you need me to pick you up a few legit chips from mouser, I can send ya some.

bigmufffuzzwizz

i had the opposite experience. i ordered from futurlec, the site said cpa and i got scpa. id like to know the place that did this to avoid it.

Ward

Hey guys, I've been getting them off ebay, there's not a lot out there on the bay, actually I think I'm really kidding myself looking on ebay. The last lot I got, I got two, they were listed as SCPA and they get here and they're CPA. I had a look at Mouser, $1.50 each, ( I paid $20 for two shipped to Australia from ebay member "Littlediode Ltd" from the UK, they did refund me though so that's something) but Mouser wants $42 shipping, forget that.
Quote from: sprayfe on May 24, 2011, 09:49:40 PM
Yeah man, if you need me to pick you up a few legit chips from mouser, I can send ya some.
Man that would be great if you could get me say 5 and post them over to Australia via 1st class int mail, please pm me if you are ok with that and give me your paypal addy and a price, I'm more than happy to add a few bucks for your trouble. Cheers, Nic.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Ive offered to do that before too and if anyone ever needs it just ask. I would never pay 40 dollars shipping for a few chips and theirs no reason you should either.

Ward

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on May 24, 2011, 10:07:47 PM
Ive offered to do that before too and if anyone ever needs it just ask. I would never pay 40 dollars shipping for a few chips and theirs no reason you should either.
Thanks mate, we'll see how I go. I must say, even with all the hiss, as a clean boost this is the best pedal ever, really stays true to the amp's thing. At the moment I'm using IN914 clippers as well.

Ward

Just an update, thanks to sprayfe and bigmufffuzzwizz for the offer to send me over a chip or two however I am trying one last time with ebay, they are priced well and I ordered 6 so we'll see if I finally get the right ones. They are coming from good ol China ;D I emailed and he? reckons he has what I need. Thanks again.