News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My site... down for a while

Started by juansolo, June 18, 2014, 05:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

I made the mistake in trying to find a new game to play. I downloaded three games... However we're looking at probably knocking on the door of 25GB. Digital media, it's the future right? Errm, no, not if my ISP has anything to do with it. I've breached my 'fair usage' policy and am now enjoying an actual 16kb/sec download speed. I dread to think what my upload is (we're async here... So might be a few kb. EDIT I think I just hit 3.5kb/sec upstream. Yes really.).

The long and short of it is that the site is down and it might be for a while until they see fit to turn the internet back on for me. As quite frankly, it's unusable. I'd like to show you the three really cool builds I did today, but that'll just have to wait.

What it has done is kick me in the arse to get some hosting. I'll deal with that when my connection is restored to it's former glory. Sadly I have to wait until May next year before I can shift to a new ISP, but this has nailed it on that I'm getting off Demon (now Vodafone). Sad given that other than a brief foray with Virgin, I've been on Demon since before the WWW was even useable. Seems they've turned into every other piss poor ISP out there with the same crib sheet since being taken over. They were the techies choice. No more.

So anyhow, I'm generally pissed off. Anyone who gets in touch with me on Facebook might want to stick with e-mail... Facebook pages take 5 mins to load.

If you need me for owt, bob me an e-mail. That seems to be fairly functional johna@juansolo.demon.co.uk (don't mind giving that one out now given it ain't gonna be around for much more than 11 months). Otherwise, I'll have to fire up a Usenet client and see if anyone still uses that...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

alanp

Does the CoE not do exorcisms? You did say that your ISP was affected by demons? ;) (Yes, I know the company's name...)

I was wondering last night why I couldn't see your multibuild page!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

peAk

Once upon a time, 16kb/sec......

juansolo

16kb/sec was fine before the bloat of the WWW took over as the dominant force on the internet.

rullywowr

"640k ought to be enough for anybody"

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

juansolo

The website is back and should be a lot faster. The direct link to the pedals stuff is http://stompage.juansolo.co.uk

If you find any problems, let me know. I haven't fully checked it yet.

juansolo

Quote from: rullywowr on June 18, 2014, 07:31:24 PM
"640k ought to be enough for anybody"

Yeah, that one was more than a little short sighted :)

Leevibe

I was glad to see it working yesterday. I'm getting psyched up to do my first envirotex pour and I didn't want to bother without having the tutorial at the ready.

juansolo

I managed to get my own IP blocked from it yesterday so I couldn't confirm (too many ssh attempts I suspect where I got the UID completely wrong). Just finished tweaking it and think everything is behaving nicely now.

peAk

yeah, please Juan, don't let this happen again.

:P