News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tayda footswitch POP!!!

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, June 16, 2014, 12:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Just used the first of many of these DPDT footswitches from Tayda and noticed a very loud POP when they are stomped (not only mechanical but also audible in the circuit)

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue AND is it the switch or do I need to add a pull down resistor at the input?

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/electromechanical/switches-key-pad/stomp-switch/dpdt-compact-stomp-foot-pedal-switch-momentary.html

midwayfair

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on June 16, 2014, 12:45:46 PMdo I need to add a pull down resistor at the input?

At the input of _________.

C'mon, Greg ... you know better!

They definitely have more mechanical noise than the Alpha switches from Smallbear. I bought two from Tayda, and those are the only two I will be buying.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: midwayfair on June 16, 2014, 03:48:51 PM
At the input of _________.

C'mon, Greg ... you know better!

They definitely have more mechanical noise than the Alpha switches from Smallbear. I bought two from Tayda, and those are the only two I will be buying.

Sorry for the lack of info.

I used it for a Meatball clone and I am noticing a LOT of switching noise. I was just wondering if it was from the switch OR the circuit. I ran short on room for a usual Blue 3PDT so I tried these. I was just wondering if adding a high value resistance on the Input to GND would get rid of the POP -OR- if this was inheirent to these switches.

And I agree Jon...... I dont think I will be ordering these again anytime soon.  ::)

midwayfair

Ah. I have a problem with Mutron III clones popping as well. And I can't get a pulldown resistor or converting the volume into a voltage divider to work properly in the design without messing up the sound. Makes no sense to me in general since the op amp input is at 0V. :/

You might have to resort to a different bypass scheme, e.g. millennium or optotron.

muddyfox

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: midwayfair on June 16, 2014, 04:37:22 PM
Ah. I have a problem with Mutron III clones popping as well. And I can't get a pulldown resistor or converting the volume into a voltage divider to work properly in the design without messing up the sound. Makes no sense to me in general since the op amp input is at 0V. :/

The funny thing is that I have yet to find an online demo video of the original with the POP. The pedal I built is not a fabbed PCB or alteration from the original circuit either  ??? Its a 1-for-1 etched PCB of the original!!

Quote from: muddyfox on June 16, 2014, 04:43:53 PM
Any love for BLMS 3pdts?

These switches are actually leftovers from a previous order. Out with the old BEFORE in with the new!  ;D

muddyfox

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on June 16, 2014, 05:05:03 PM
Any love for BLMS 3pdts?

These switches are actually leftovers from a previous order. Out with the old BEFORE in with the new!  ;D

So you think BLMS will be an improvement over Tayda? I've read someplace that they can be iffy as well.
I really can't afford to go the high quality route but I'd at least like to get something that isn't utter crap and has reasonable international shipping rate.

lincolnic

I've used the BLMS switches in a few builds so far, and haven't had any trouble. Fine enough that I just ordered some more for my next round of projects!

LaceSensor

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on June 16, 2014, 05:05:03 PM
Quote from: midwayfair on June 16, 2014, 04:37:22 PM

The funny thing is that I have yet to find an online demo video of the original with the POP. The pedal I built is not a fabbed PCB or alteration from the original circuit either  ??? Its a 1-for-1 etched PCB of the original!!

Any love for BLMS 3pdts?

real meatballs dont POP when footswitched, for what its worth...

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: LaceSensor on June 17, 2014, 09:23:43 AM
real meatballs dont POP when footswitched, for what its worth...

Thanks for the conformation Ian. I was pretty sure this was the case.

I guess I can chalk it up to the actual footswitch then. Ill have to see what I can do  ;)

P.S. Ian.... sent you an email   ;D