News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Naughty Fish not working (yet)

Started by Marshall Arts, June 15, 2014, 02:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshall Arts

Almighty forum, I need your help! I just built a "Naughty Fish", but is not working. The volume control works, but all other switches and pots have only minor impact on the sound (if any). It does not "crackle", when connecting the battery while the effect is connected to the amp, so maybe something with the power supply? The battery is new, though...

Below, you can find some pictures of the project, things that come to my mind are (just) the following, maybe somebody else spots the mistake(s) or can guide me through the debugging process (I am not that experienced with this yet...):

• C11 obviously is not the size I expected. Anyway, the values should be ok.
  • Hi/Lo Switch: I did not have one to solder to the board, so I used wires up to now
  • HP/LP/BP Switch: It is the wrong type, (there is two types, see image below) - the one I have is type 1, the project requires type 2. That's why I wired it up "over cross". Anyway, in the left or right position, this should be irrelevant.
  • The LED is a orange 5 mm (instead of a 3 mm one). I think, this should not matter.

Leevibe

Verify guitar is plugged into input and amp to output and not reversed maybe?

Pot bodies aren't shorting to board?

Verify cap polarities

That's about all I can come up with. It looks like your ICs are all in the right way. Do you have a test probe?

Marshall Arts

Quote from: Leevibe on June 15, 2014, 02:24:12 PM
Verify guitar is plugged into input and amp to output and not reversed maybe?
Pot bodies aren't shorting to board?
Verify cap polarities
That's about all I can come up with. It looks like your ICs are all in the right way. Do you have a test probe?

Thanks for the quick reply - I checked all of the above, unfortunately no success. I don't have a test probe, but could build one. I have a DMM, can anyone give me a hint, what voltage I should measure (against ground) on specific pins of the IC's (or other points on the board)? Maybe that would help already (I am not so good in reading diagrams...)

Marshall Arts

FIXED IT!!!! R25 was the wrong value. NEVER TRUST YOUR SUPPLIER'S LABELLING!!!! It said 10R, but was much more (20 k or so...). I found out by measuring the voltage on the IC's pins. And I improved reading diagrams, I guess ;-)

Marshall Arts

<deleted>

Leevibe