News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hamlet + Tap Tempo and LED

Started by PhiloB, June 11, 2014, 07:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

Loving this delay but having an issue.  I ordered extra digital pots because I had read there was a 40% tolerance on those jokers.  Auditioned a few and found one that was pretty close: I tap in 120bmp with a metronome and I get 124-126 consistently on the repeats.  The other chips ranges from 138-148 on the repeats with 120bpm tapped.  I can live with that small discrepancy. 
But, the LEDs flash at a different rate than the tap and repeats (slower).  It is very notice able.  Is there a way to fix this?  It is certainly not a deal breaker as it doesn't affect the sound but visually is a little distracting (I'm not usually looking at the pedal when I play so it really isn't a big deal).
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Phillip

jkokura

What are the LED CLR's rated at? Also, the type of LED makes a difference. What LEDs did you use?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

PhiloB

I'll have to check the CLR values but I'm sure I used whatever was in the BOM.  I used the diffused red LEDs from Tayda.

PhiloB

jkokura

Try 1K resistors and see if that fixes things. If it's the same, I'm not sure but you might need to try different LEDs, like a diffused or something along those lines. I think the forward voltage matters in this case.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

PhiloB

Thanks Jacob.  I have diffused in there but might try and order from a different vendor.  I'll try the 1k first.

muddyfox

Is this the first you've heard of this issue, J.?

I won't be building mine for another month or so but would be curious to know if this led thing can be prevented....

jkokura

I'm not sure it's the first I've heard about it. I encountered it myself, and found that playing with the values of the CLR and LED makes a difference. The LED feedback is not quite perfect, largely because there's too much variance between the various LEDs and resistors we used.

I should make a note of this in the Hamlet+ doc. I've been super slammed at work the past several weeks, so that's really put a limit on how much work on JMK PCBs I've been able to accomplish.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*