News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

First pedal. First frustration.

Started by Russian, May 29, 2014, 05:54:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russian

I just finished to put all parts together of a EA tremolo.
Since the beginning, I have no idea of what I am doing. I am just copying and soldering.
But after the hole work I had to do the outboard connections and I did a mess. I am using a DPDT and this "pentellium bypass"

Got a battery snap to check if at least leds turn on but they don't even blink...

Just sharing the mood.
Good night (or morning...)

wgc

Hang in there..!  Probably something simple, and I guess it may be the led is wired backwards. Post some pictures and it's easier to help.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Russian

I met a friend today and the first thing wrong we found was that the ground was not connected to sleeve but to shield.

After that we had signal going through but WITHOUT tremolo.
Level knob is working well. Reversed but working.
Speed and depth are useless.

We took away a 12k resistor to place there a led+10k resistor (connected both ways just in case we were wrong) to check if we had a wet signal going to the led but not to the audio.
Nothing happened.

I got a replacement for 2 transistors:
2N5088 for a BC549
2N5457 for a K301

We checked pinouts and seemed to be the same. Called the place were I bought and they confirmed that pinouts were the same for K301 but not for BC549. We inverted that one.

Still without tremoling.

I will use soldering to cover all the tracks just in case a micro cut is splitting tracks.
(I will do this because that happened on one of the two power supplies I did)

Which component is the one creating the FX?

Russian

As i understood, tonepad layout is wrong on the order of the transistors.
For tonepad:
Q1=2N5088
Q2=2N5457
Q3=3904

In all other schematics, 2N5088 goes as Q3 driving the oscillation with high gain and 2N3904 goes as Q1 just for volume control.

I found this at tonepad building reports.

Let me know if I am wrong or not.

Thanks guys

Russian

Can I have a burnt transistor for a wrong pin connection?

midwayfair

Quote from: Russian on June 09, 2014, 11:35:35 PM
Can I have a burnt transistor for a wrong pin connection?

You won't destroy a transistor or anything else in the circuit by putting it in backwards. In fact, some transistors work just fine that way. The pins are still N-P-N even when flipped.

Russian