News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

component kits?

Started by conner_jcm900, April 14, 2011, 09:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conner_jcm900

Hello, I'm lee form the UK. I'm wanting to start building my first pedals, I think my soldering skills are fine but what concerns me is buying the correct parts. Since Ill have to import the boards from the USA anyway i  was wondering if any members sold or would supply complete kits. Ideally I'm looking to buy the PCB and  just the components to populate them.I can source jacks switches etc. If any one can help I'm after a slambox, kokbox and a krankosorus. Thanks lee

jkokura

Lee, I suggest that you go check out Smallbear Electronics. You will be able to get everything you need from there, and the shipping that I would charge you would likely be the same or more than what they would charge you. Plus, you get the guarantee that your parts will arrive and covered in case there's a mistake.

I also know that there are several UK and EU suppliers. An acquaintance of mine started one, I think it's Dr Tweak - check his site out. Banzai is another good supplier.

If you are challenged on how to navigate and locate the right parts, we can help you there. If you're really committed to getting a kit, both General Guitar Gadgets and Build Your Own Clone are great sites that we can recommend. I admire though that you're more interested in the Madbean projects, and hope you learn to source your own parts and build a few from here.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Mark_McQ

Hello Lee, I'm in the UK also. I use http://www.doctortweek.co.uk/ for all my parts.
You can get about 95% of what you need from there, and Stephen who runs it is a top bloke. He dispatches the stuff quickly too.
Anything else I need that he doesn't stock, I get from http://www.banzaimusic.com/
They're in Germany, and take a bit longer to ship, but they have a huge selection of stuff. I usually use them for pots, and any unusual IC chips I may need, plus the odd pack of caps or resistors I'm short on.

On the rare occasion neither of those have a certain item I need, Smallbear to the rescue.

Also, to get your parts box started, get the resistor and capacitor grab bags from here:
http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/compkits.html

The resistors and electrolytic cap bags will cover about 99% of the values a lot of pedal builds require.
If you need to order a specific cap or resistor for a build and it's not in any of those bags, put in an order for at least 10 of the item, and you'll soon build up a good reserve of bits.

bigmufffuzzwizz

I didn't know stephen runs doctortweek. Are you referring to the moderator from BYOC forum?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

conner_jcm900

thanks for the support and tips  guys, ive used bothe Banzai and DrTweek when i modded my wah and amp footswitch. im downsizing all my gerar the big stack is going and im getting a Blackstar HT5 mini stack and a shitload of quality diy  pedals. my boards will hoplefully be
Modded crybaby
slambox
byoc triboost
krankosorus
byoc od2
kokbox
byoc mouse

it would probibly be best to start with the byoc kits but meh,