News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cat5e

Started by PhiloB, June 04, 2014, 09:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllenM

I use a multi-cable style cable that contains a 2 conductor shield (Audio) and 3 conductor non-shield (Power) for making rig snakes from pedal board to amp.. there are other configurations that even allow say Audio + Midi + Power and the individual paths are separated (jacketed) inside a larger jacket...

here is an example..

http://www.van-damme.com/21.html

AllenM

jtn191

I did a little more research and the noise seems to be related to if there's shielding or not. Also found these http://www.pedalsnake.com/page.php?id=63
http://www.lavacable.com/index.php?id=150

This seems like a pretty cool idea! keep us posted on how it turns out

chromesphere

I've tried cat5 before but I didn't like it personally.  Very brittle and quite stiff.  Maybe that's my anti-solid core preference coming through, but I do use cat5 for breadboard links.  Works well!
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

culturejam

Quote from: PhiloB on June 04, 2014, 10:40:11 PM
May be a hair brained idea BUT:
Just picked up a VHT Special 6.  Looking at the mods others are doing.  Saw a guy put a 9v out on the back of the amp to power his pedalboard (visual one spot in the chassy). 

What I love about the VHT 12/20 is that it has a 9VDC output on the back for pedals. Brilliant idea.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

PhiloB

That's where the guy got the inspiration.  He used plastic ties to secure the transformer inside the amp and hooked it up to the on/off power switch.  Drilled a hole for the DC near the external speaker outs.

PhiloB

Chromosphere, I had a Line6 footboard that ran off Cat5.  It is stiff but I never had any problems with it.
That is my hesitation though, I don't want to put a Ethernet port on the back of the amp to find out I don't like it!

lincolnic

Just wanted to chime in and say that the headphone system at my studio (6-channel mixers) uses CAT5 only, for both power and audio. However, it's a bit of a pain in the ass. The connectors and the jacks can get loose, which means sometimes you'll randomly drop a channel until the cables get reseated. Not the biggest deal, but not something you want to happen in the middle of a gig either.

PhiloB

lincolnic, definitely something to think about.  I'm considering building two boxes to test it out before permanently drilling the amp.

Muadzin

Why bother? They're working on wireless power distribution.  ;)

http://www.rezence.com/alliance/about-a4wp

oldhousescott

The Furman studio headphone system used Cat5 for analog audio and power distribution (power, 1 stereo, 4 mono channels). You might be able to find some diagrams for pinouts, etc. Definitely use molded or strain-relieved plugs. Regular crimped connectors are the weak link in that scenario. Trust me.

PhiloB

Thanks oldhousescott!
Anybody with experience using this type of cabling for any purpose recommend a vendor for the supplies?

pickdropper

Quote from: PhiloB on June 05, 2014, 06:48:32 PM
Thanks oldhousescott!
Anybody with experience using this type of cabling for any purpose recommend a vendor for the supplies?

I would probably check out Markertek first.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

chromesphere

Quote from: PhiloB on June 05, 2014, 01:27:20 AM
Chromosphere, I had a Line6 footboard that ran off Cat5.  It is stiff but I never had any problems with it.
That is my hesitation though, I don't want to put a Ethernet port on the back of the amp to find out I don't like it!

Hey Philo.  Helps if I read the thread properly before responding :D I thought you meant using the wires from cat5 for building!  Yeah im sure reliability wise cat5 would be fine.  No idea about power handling but I would expect it to be low...whats a high bit of a transmitted digital network signal?  5v? Anyway, would be interesting to see other applications for cat5.  Interconnecting between pedals etc.  Prob better suited to the digital world though.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

lincolnic

Quote from: oldhousescott on June 05, 2014, 06:04:09 PM
The Furman studio headphone system used Cat5 for analog audio and power distribution (power, 1 stereo, 4 mono channels). You might be able to find some diagrams for pinouts, etc. Definitely use molded or strain-relieved plugs. Regular crimped connectors are the weak link in that scenario. Trust me.

This is exactly the headphone system I mentioned in my earlier post. You'll definitely want to make sure you're using stronger connectors if they exist.

Leevibe

I'd be curious about capacitance per foot. It would be worth it to shoot out X number of feet of cat5 against the same length quality instrument cable being fed with an unbuffered signal.

I use a 6' cat6 in my test rig and it works beautifully to carry signal and power to and from the enclosure. I use stranded wire where it breaks out to test clips because the solid core is way too stiff to be useful in that application.