Ovnilab reviewed a few DIY compressors: Afterlife, Engineer's Thumb, and Bearhug

Started by midwayfair, June 08, 2014, 06:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Haberdasher

cool, thanks for posting jon

i might try that threshold mod for the afterlife

fyi there is an unwanted "=" at the tail end of the thumb link
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jtn191

cool! I've been nerdily waiting for those reviews.
I'm guessing by "sound quality" on the ET he means full & even frequency response?

Speaking of the "tic" I think I've experienced the same thing. When measuring attack times, I sent signal through the comp and the transients seemed to be exaggerated

thesameage

I was just about to post these. I pm'd him on the talkbass board to ask if I should build the ET or AL for bass and he highly rec'd the Afterlife. Interesting to hear his "long" explanation.

midwayfair

Quote from: jtn191 on June 09, 2014, 12:29:46 AM
Speaking of the "tic" I think I've experienced the same thing. When measuring attack times, I sent signal through the comp and the transients seemed to be exaggerated

That is kind of weird. It's only when it first turns on. I wonder what's going on there. Maybe the level of compression is such that it's the "real" note and the attack just isn't completely immediate.

lincolnic

Quote from: midwayfair on June 09, 2014, 12:43:33 PM
Quote from: jtn191 on June 09, 2014, 12:29:46 AM

That is kind of weird. It's only when it first turns on. I wonder what's going on there. Maybe the level of compression is such that it's the "real" note and the attack just isn't completely immediate.

This looks to me like the compressor is set with a slow attack time - slow enough that the compressor doesn't start working until after the transients occur, so that only the sustain is getting compressed. This will sound like the transients are being exaggerated, but in reality it's just compressing everything that follows them.

jtn191

It was set from fastest (4ms) to slowest as you move left to right. The flat part of the wave is where the signal is being compressed, the slope from transient to compressed is attack time

lincolnic

Quote from: jtn191 on June 10, 2014, 04:40:09 AM
It was set from fastest (4ms) to slowest as you move left to right. The flat part of the wave is where the signal is being compressed, the slope from transient to compressed is attack time

Guess my theory's out, then!

midwayfair

Quote from: jtn191 on June 10, 2014, 04:40:09 AM

Guess we have to make it shorter ... 4mS is really fast, but still audible.