News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sunking 2

Started by goldfixe, May 25, 2014, 06:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldfixe

So, this isn't my first Madbean build but it's my first build report.  In the past I've etched my own boards but I decided to buy this one because the wiring was pretty slick and I'm lazy.  For those of you with OCD tread lightly, it's not the cleanest build and some of the hardware doesn't line up.  I love the way this thing sounds!  For the clipping option I have the stock germaniums and then BAT41's.  The BAT's really up the gain and natural compression but there's a significant volume drop.  Still, it's worth it for the variety and there's enough headroom that it isn't a problem.  The Fat and Thick mods are very insignificant, almost unnoticeable.  I have Brian's recommended values for each (150n) but may experiment with other values in the future.  Like a dummy, I forgot to socket these.  Anyway, here we go!

The enclosure is scuffed a bit but that's what you get when you order a batch of blem boxes from Mammoth.

I mounted the toggles on the top of the enclosure because I didn't have any that would fit under the board.  Yes, I totally botched one of the holes so no I have to live with it.  It's not too bad and once it's on my board I won't be able to see it, so out of sight, out of mind.

I bought a fresnel lens on a whim from Small Bear and installed it.  I really like it a lot.

Not a super clean build but, for me, it's pretty dang good.  I'm happy with it.

I like the sound of this pedal so much I'm thinking of building a Kingslayer and having the two be the only OD's on my board. 

m-Kresol

I really like the switches on the top and the misdrilled hole is for ventilation/heatsink puroposes, right? :D
Good job, nice and clean
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Leevibe

Great job goldfixe! I'd say you got the hole for the access port drilled in precisely the right place. :)  You can use that to pump in helium if you need a treble booster, or you could fit it with a spy cam and take covert shots of the audience as you play face melting solos! Just remember to put the plug in if you take her out on the water.  ;D

All joking aside, great job. Maybe we can help come up with a mod to use it for some type of control.

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

MarcFive

Glad to hear you like how it sounds. I'm waiting on some parts to finish mine. (also doing the Kinslayer)((Ooops, Fruedian slip, I meant Kingslayer))  ;). I see you layed that transistor down, didn't you run into conflicts with the output also? I was thinking I'd line the sockets up with the Gain and Output pots. That'd leave a little slack for the switches, I've got the tiny little sub-mini's but I think I still ran into conflicts eye-balling the layout. Thanks for the post! helped me out a little.

goldfixe

MarcFive, It was close but the jack doesn't really connect with anything.  As soon as I drilled it and installed the parts I though, "crap" but it all worked out.