News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Trying to Improve my Wiring

Started by GammaFlex, May 27, 2014, 04:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GammaFlex

So instead of just building pedals as a whole I decided to try to take some time and improve my wiring/soldering jobs. Here's one I just finished, I've redone my layout for this pedal to eliminate jumpers/standing resistors etc...

The wiring was going to be twisted but it looked really off and didn't fit well with the twist on just one side, any thoughts? The battery sits correctly I just hadn't pushed it down in there for the picture

Rockhorst

I don't really thinks there's any problem with that wiring?it's quite neat and clean!

muddyfox

Same here. It's plenty nice.
Wiring is also highly dependent on the board you're connecting as the pads can be pretty much anywhere and your "system" may need more adjustment than you planned for.
I just try to keep an open mind and go with the flow of the build. Sometimes I hide the wires as much as possible, sometimes I let them all hang out if I can manage to do it somewhat neatly.

GermanCdn

Overall, I don't think you have a problem with your wiring, so well done.

If you're going for twisted on a vero and it looks a little off because of the location of the outs off the board, you could run your twists longer than you need, split them at the board end and cut them to the individual length required, which would allow you to run the braid down the middle as opposed to being offset.  Zip tie mounts to the enclosure also can help keep the wires in place for a pro look.

You might  want to give the solder joints on the jacks a little touchup once everythings secure, one or two of them look a little dull/cold, but if you're not noticing any problems, it's probably my eyes. ::)

Nice to see you're working on your building mechanics, it goes a long way to helping all your builds in the end.  Well done.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

GammaFlex

I rechecked the joints Germancdn, all of them are solid but looking at the picture I think the outdoors light sort of washes it out and makes it look like they're cold joints.

I think I see what you guys are saying, it's more about what your layout demands rather than adhering to a "system" makes sense. Thanks for the tips/compliments guys!

pickdropper

That looks much better than your earlier posting.  Good job.

How is the PCB mounted?
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

davent

Something you could do with a symmetrical layout like that, that will make it easier to wire, mount the pots  and switch in their holes so they are exposed outside the box, inside-out. Gives you easy access to all the solder points, easy to trim wire to length, easier to see what you're doing.

I usually create a jig/board to match the enclosure layout and do all the wiring on it except the wires to the  various jacks. Those wires are wired to the boards or switch and easily accessed and soldered once you've checked for functioning and mounted things properly inside the box.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

GammaFlex

Quote from: pickdropper on May 28, 2014, 03:44:40 AM
That looks much better than your earlier posting.  Good job.

How is the PCB mounted?

The board is directly on top of a PCB mount pot, which in turn is directly attached to the board so it's all one solid piece.

pickdropper

Cool.  I didn't see a problem; I was just curious.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GammaFlex

Quote from: davent on May 28, 2014, 04:51:48 AM
Something you could do with a symmetrical layout like that, that will make it easier to wire, mount the pots  and switch in their holes so they are exposed outside the box, inside-out. Gives you easy access to all the solder points, easy to trim wire to length, easier to see what you're doing.

I usually create a jig/board to match the enclosure layout and do all the wiring on it except the wires to the  various jacks. Those wires are wired to the boards or switch and easily accessed and soldered once you've checked for functioning and mounted things properly inside the box.

dave

That's pretty ingenious actually, I'm going to have to try that

Pickdropper, it's all good :)