News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Third times a charm

Started by studiodunn, March 23, 2015, 06:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studiodunn

I decided I'd start etching this year, and finally tried my hand at it.

The A box was my first attempt.....FAIL! So thinking I was ready for another I went at the DD. It was better but crap too. But with some creative sanding it was salvaged. Now armed with a wealth of knowledge about etching ( Approx. 2 hours) I sanded down the A box and got what I was after. On to the pedals.

DD is a Rub a Dub Deluxe and Eco-plex from 1776. Nice boards, great docs and straight forward to build. I am going to put a flipper switch in, I just forgot it. Of all the random things, the "e" on the tape label didn't etch, so now it says tap, which is a great feature.....just not here  :o

The A box is a Speaker cranker layout from tagboard. I played with some values to get it a little hotter, but it's a great little dirt box.

These are my first builds using utility boards. I got these from Ben and I don't guess I'll ever build another pedal without them....AMEN!

rullywowr

I love the etches, and great selection of circuits too.  The RADD and MP are great sounding PCBs.  One day, I will attempt an acid etch of an enclosure....one day :)

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

cooder

Very cool and unique look there! Great builds!
BigNoise Amplification

Leevibe

Well done! The etches look great.

Quote from: studiodunn on March 23, 2015, 06:56:29 PM
Of all the random things, the "e" on the tape label didn't etch, so now it says tap, which is a great feature.....just not here  :o

HAHA!!!

selfdestroyer

Looks great. The etches came out awesome and I too agree with the RAD & MPlex. They sound smashing together.

Cody

billstein

Quote from: Leevibe on March 23, 2015, 07:47:23 PM
Well done! The etches look great.

Quote from: studiodunn on March 23, 2015, 06:56:29 PM
Of all the random things, the "e" on the tape label didn't etch, so now it says tap, which is a great feature.....just not here  :o

HAHA!!!

That's so cool you build pedals with a "Faux Tap" feature.

Nice builds

studiodunn

Thanks all. I'm pretty happy with the etch, but even more so for the next batch.

Does anyone have any experience with photo paper as opposed to PnP?

m-Kresol

Nice builds. You'll get better with every time, there is a steep learning curve here I found.

Quote from: studiodunn on March 24, 2015, 06:24:36 PM
Does anyone have any experience with photo paper as opposed to PnP?

Check out Cody's and Graham's tutorials here, if you haven't already. They helped me a lot.

http://music.codydeschenes.com/?page_id=2035

http://diy-guitar-effects.tumblr.com/etching
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Stomptown

Very nice!  I love both etches and give you props for taking on such a large enclosure when your just starting out.  As far as PNP vs paper goes, I now prefer paper for enclosure etches but it is a totally different process.  Definitely check out Cody's tutorial and follow it to the T if you decide to give it a go.  Just make sure you have the right type of paper (gloss text) and a nice laser priner (I got a brother for $70.00) and your set!

Schectadon

Very cool!!!
I tried using waterslide decals and failed miserably. That pushed me into etching. Prep work of the enclosure is the most important part along with patience. Well done!!
Formerly known as TwistdDeth

wgc

Sweet stuff love the skulls!
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

gordo

I like those. Kinda dark and ratty looking in a great way :)
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?