News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bass boost for LaVache (aka Les Lius)

Started by micromegas, May 09, 2014, 07:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micromegas

Hi folks.

A customer wants me to mod a Les Lius for him to increase the bass response.

He literally said he wanted a "20% more bass" to make it sound like a superbass.
My first thought was to increase the cap tied to the collector or to add a switch a' la Plexi Drive to put another cap in parallel; but the I thought it could be interesting to actually decrease the value of the emiter capacitor to increase the bass content on the distortion.

I only have one cuestion before trying this: does this cap (I am refering to C2 in Madbean's LaVache) need to be polarized or is it just because that was the easiest way to get a 47uF cap?

Thank you.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

midwayfair

Input cutoff is extremely low. Output cutoff knee is 15Hz, below human hearing and way below what his guitar or bass can produce or his amp can produce, so changing that is likely to affect diddly squat unless his amp has extremely low input impedance. The frequency boost on the emitter is completely flat down to subharmonics. The best you can do is reduce the treble, or tell him that it already has no bass cut and there's nothing for him to mod on it.

Sounds like your friend could use an EQ pedal if he's dissatisfied with the bass response in his rig.

Also, the emitter cap works backwards from what you're suggesting. Large values lower the frequency boost. It's also calculated with the resistor in parallel. It could be as large as 10uf here and you probably wouldn't hear it "cutting" bass.

micromegas

Quote from: midwayfair on May 09, 2014, 07:48:58 PM
Input cutoff is extremely low. Output cutoff knee is 15Hz, below human hearing and way below what his guitar or bass can produce or his amp can produce, so changing that is likely to affect diddly squat unless his amp has extremely low input impedance. The frequency boost on the emitter is completely flat down to subharmonics. The best you can do is reduce the treble, or tell him that it already has no bass cut and there's nothing for him to mod on it.

Sounds like your friend could use an EQ pedal if he's dissatisfied with the bass response in his rig.

Also, the emitter cap works backwards from what you're suggesting. Large values lower the frequency boost. It's also calculated with the resistor in parallel. It could be as large as 10uf here and you probably wouldn't hear it "cutting" bass.

Thank you Jon.
And what do you think about trying some arrangement like Fred Briggs did on the Clock of Tone? Would it be completely unuseful? I've heard it helps to dial in the desired brightness
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io