News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zener Diode in Yellow Shark

Started by grodada, September 26, 2011, 01:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grodada

Hi,

I am about to order the parts necessary to put together a Yellow Shark. I have some doubt about the Zener diode. How many watts is it supposed to be? I can't find the info on the pdf file.

Best,

G.

plesur

A 1N4733A should be OK, it's a 1W 5.1V zener

oldhousescott

There's probably not more than 2mA current through the zener. At 5.1v drop, that's about one-hundredth of a watt of power being dissipated (P = V x I). An eighth watt or higher zener will work fine.

grodada

mikitz

Sorry this is an old post but I'm just trying to figure out the yellow shark myself. The zener diode seems to be involved in voltage regulation, am I right? If a regulated power supply is used we could just omit the zener altogether without any affect on the sound, right?

mikitz

IvIark over at tagboardeffects answered my question.. apparently Bjorn likes using zener diodes in the LED circuit, it isn't really part of the audio circuit at all.. so you can omit it without affecting the way it sounds.

Quote from: mikitz on May 09, 2014, 01:21:08 AM
Sorry this is an old post but I'm just trying to figure out the yellow shark myself. The zener diode seems to be involved in voltage regulation, am I right? If a regulated power supply is used we could just omit the zener altogether without any affect on the sound, right?