News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Egghead Help please

Started by mbrooks0711, May 02, 2014, 03:52:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbrooks0711

Hello all! I just finished up my second project, plugged it in, and heard the sweet sound of... Buzz. I'm still a "paint by numbers" skill level, so I don't really know how to troubleshoot a build. It's a madbean egghead with a GuitarPCB 3PDT wiring board. If you see any glaring mistakes or have other suggestions please let me know.i It works in bypass, but passes no signal when the switch is engaged. There is a low buzz constant that increases when I touch any solder joint. The potentiometers seem to work (they control the level of buzz haha) but I'm at a loss as to what to do next to fix this. Thanks!

mattlee0037

First thing I would check is all ground and power wires and make sure those have good connections, then maybe those clear diodes.

midwayfair

Quote from: mbrooks0711 on May 02, 2014, 03:52:56 AMI'm still a "paint by numbers" skill level, so I don't really know how to troubleshoot a build.

Time to learn.

Here are two posts that will teach you how to systematically troubleshoot a build of any complexity:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=902.0 (this forum's "tech help rules" thread)
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=29816.0 (RG Keen's "What to do when it doesn't work")

If you need help understanding a schematic, read "From schematic to reality" on Beavis Audio with the schematic for the pedal you're looking at open at the same time.

Here's the thing: You MUST learn to do this, because it's the only way to give us the information we need to diagnose the problem without the circuit in hand (things like voltages, audio probe results, etc.). And the troubleshooting steps are the same for pretty much every project, so it's the same stuff we'd do if we had it in hand. Plus most of the time you can find the problem on your own simply by gathering that information.