News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

SMD Tweezer Reccomendations?

Started by Droogie, April 09, 2014, 04:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Droogie

Having gotten the SMD bug, and also experiencing some trouble shooting with same, I need to be able to verify the values of Rs and Cs more easily. SMD test tweezers or banana plug tweezers for a multimeter seem to be in order. The thing that's confusing is seeing such a wide range of prices for similar items. Has anybody found some good options? I'd rather not have to spend @ $60 for tweezers!
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

rullywowr

Hi Droogie... suprised nobody chimed in yet.  I suppose, it is like ice cream; everybody has their own favorites.  A $60 pair is probably a really nice pair but I have great luck with my $3.66 set (of two!)

I have a pair of these from Amazon and they work great for me.  $3.66 with free shipping (over $25 or Prime Membership).  I prefer the bent nose ones mostly, but they do the job just fine for the limited SMD work I do.  Very sharp, and the allignment is awesome.  Haven't felt the need to upgrade (yet!)  I use them for SMD as well as sometimes tucking wires in and out of tight places.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BG8WW2Y/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Droogie

Thanks for that. I'm thinking a pair that will measure caps and resistors. Or how do you measure SMD parts. I tried with my multimeter, but it was comical trying to do so.
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

rullywowr

Quote from: Droogie on April 10, 2014, 07:22:06 PM
Thanks for that. I'm thinking a pair that will measure caps and resistors. Or how do you measure SMD parts. I tried with my multimeter, but it was comical trying to do so.

No prob :)

You can buy "multimeter tweezers probes" or go all out and get something like the mastech multimeter tweezers. Or...make them yourself ;)

jimilee

Quote from: rullywowr on April 10, 2014, 06:21:37 PM
Hi Droogie... suprised nobody chimed in yet.  I suppose, it is like ice cream; everybody has their own favorites.  A $60 pair is probably a really nice pair but I have great luck with my $3.66 set (of two!)

I have a pair of these from Amazon and they work great for me.  $3.66 with free shipping (over $25 or Prime Membership).  I prefer the bent nose ones mostly, but they do the job just fine for the limited SMD work I do.  Very sharp, and the allignment is awesome.  Haven't felt the need to upgrade (yet!)  I use them for SMD as well as sometimes tucking wires in and out of tight places.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BG8WW2Y/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item
Bought, they're even cheaper now.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

rullywowr

Quote from: jimilee on April 10, 2014, 08:05:16 PM

Dang!  I think I paid like $5.49 for mine lol.   Just be careful not to stab yourself...they are sharp!

jimilee

Quote from: rullywowr on April 10, 2014, 08:08:47 PM
Quote from: jimilee on April 10, 2014, 08:05:16 PM

Dang!  I think I paid like $5.49 for mine lol.   Just be careful not to stab yourself...they are sharp!
I'm always careful, just ask my soldering iron. Damn near set a chair on fire over the weekend....being careful.... ;D
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

angrykoko

Cool, picked up a set too... and a illuminated head gear magnifying rig.
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

wgc

Mine are pretty old, got them at work, but nothing special and not as nice as those shown. I just use the std mm probes to do measuring.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

pickdropper

For standard tweezers, there are many inexpensive options.  If lowest cost isn't a concern, these are my favorites that aren't super expensive:

http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-44527-Professional-Precision-Tweezers/dp/B002T1H5O2/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1397184200&sr=8-10&keywords=wiha+tweezers

As far as the SMT meter tweezers, I am still looking for an inexpensive pair myself...
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

aballen

i forget where i got mine, but mine have a magnifiying glass built in