News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tru-oil (was Nuuu)

Started by alanp, April 12, 2014, 04:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Haveyouseenhim, ever tru-oiled a guitar neck? :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

haveyouseenhim

Nope. But it would make a killer finish.

If you try it, try thinning it by half with naptha.
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

jubal81

The guys over at TDPRI use that stuff all the time. I think it's gorgeous. Someday I'll do a parts caster strat with stain & tru oil.

When you say half, you mean literally a 1:1 ratio?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: jubal81 on April 12, 2014, 06:00:12 AM
When you say half, you mean literally a 1:1 ratio?

Yes. A gun checkerer taught me that. It helps it seep into the grain, and it helps reduce the chances for runs to happen.
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

atreidesheir

I have tru oil on two guitars and several shotguns.  If you follow directions you should not have trouble with runs.  You never have more than a dab on the cloth at a time.  I have never needed to cut it.  When you let it cure for a month then buff it out with denim and it is ready to rock.  Tru oil is also nontoxic and smells ok.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

davent

Quick search of youtube proved fruitful.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alanp

Got about 3 coats on the neck at the mo, using paper towels. I've been giving it a quick go with the 0000 synthetic wool between layers.

Haven't started on the body yet, though. That's getting rattlecan satin black.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

pryde

I have TO'ed a few guitars that I have built. It is good stuff and pretty easy to work with really. If you are doing a body and want a very durable-thick finish, plan on 25-30 coats. Here are a couple mahogany guitars I built with TO finishing.

rullywowr

That tele....(drool)!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

juansolo

This has a Tru-Oiled neck (and body). It's rather good.

Though it's applied using a different technique...

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

alanp

Got about 5 or 6 coats on the neck, doing a satin black finish on the body.

Should I keep adding more coats? After letting it dry for a few days, the back of the neck feels somewhat rough, certainly not slick. Or should I give it the business with some 0000 synthetic wool?
- Terry Pratchett
My website

juansolo

Mine are wet sanded in, so a different technique. They are smooooth and glidey-like.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

pryde

Quote from: alanp on April 15, 2014, 07:20:09 AM
Got about 5 or 6 coats on the neck, doing a satin black finish on the body.

Should I keep adding more coats? After letting it dry for a few days, the back of the neck feels somewhat rough, certainly not slick. Or should I give it the business with some 0000 synthetic wool?

I would do some light wet-sanding with 1000 grit. You have the idea: build 4-5 LIGHT coats then sand back a couple, rinse and repeat. You don't want to lay new coats over "rough" ones underneath so make sure you smooth em a bit.

You could try synthetic 0000 but I don't think its quite aggressive enough