News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

SMT equivelant / replacement for the 2n5457?

Started by chromesphere, January 07, 2014, 10:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobA

Quote from: jubal81 on January 07, 2014, 11:35:34 PM
While on the subject, what about an SMD equivalent to 2SK170?
I thought that I had seen an announcement from Toshiba that they were doing these in SMT, but I just checked their website and didn't see anything that seemed a reasonable match.  There are the LSK170's available in surface mount if you can find them anywhere. I haven't tried them myself, but I've read that they are good replacements for the 2SK170.

http://www.linearsystems.com/assets/media/file/datasheets/LSK170.pdf
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

jubal81

Quote from: RobA on January 08, 2014, 09:43:52 PM
Quote from: jubal81 on January 07, 2014, 11:35:34 PM
While on the subject, what about an SMD equivalent to 2SK170?
I thought that I had seen an announcement from Toshiba that they were doing these in SMT, but I just checked their website and didn't see anything that seemed a reasonable match.  There are the LSK170's available in surface mount if you can find them anywhere. I haven't tried them myself, but I've read that they are good replacements for the 2SK170.

http://www.linearsystems.com/assets/media/file/datasheets/LSK170.pdf

Yeah, it's finding them that's the issue. Octopart doesn't show any. Ideally, I'd like something that Mouser carries.

Looking at their lineup, I see an 2SK880 JFET (for about 60 cents, ouch). I'm pretty sure I've seen the guys at DIYaudio praising these.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jubal81

Just spotted PMBFJ620. It's a dual package - interesting possibilities.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

RobA

Quote from: jubal81 on January 08, 2014, 11:05:55 PM
Yeah, that's the one I started the other thread on. It is interesting and I've got a few to try out, but I'm not sure yet.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

jubal81

Quote from: RobA on January 08, 2014, 11:08:14 PM
Quote from: jubal81 on January 08, 2014, 11:05:55 PM
Yeah, that's the one I started the other thread on. It is interesting and I've got a few to try out, but I'm not sure yet.

Cool. Sorry I missed that thread. Love to hear what you think about it.
- David Fair

RobA

Quote from: jubal81 on January 08, 2014, 11:10:24 PM
[...]
No problem, I probably should have stuck it in this thread, but I was hoping to catch eyes that weren't interested in 2N5457's (if there are any of those eyes around here).

I'll report back on them after I do a bit of testing. Any circuit you'd like me to try out? I'd really like to hear of some other's experience with them too.

jubal81

Quote from: RobA on January 08, 2014, 11:15:06 PM
Quote from: jubal81 on January 08, 2014, 11:10:24 PM
[...]
No problem, I probably should have stuck it in this thread, but I was hoping to catch eyes that weren't interested in 2N5457's (if there are any of those eyes around here).

I'll report back on them after I do a bit of testing. Any circuit you'd like me to try out? I'd really like to hear of some other's experience with them too.

Just off the top of my head I'm thinking Mu-amp drives ala Catalinbread and then discrete opamps. We all know REAL phasers use optocouplers  ;)
- David Fair

RobA

Quote from: jubal81 on January 08, 2014, 11:17:43 PM
Just off the top of my head I'm thinking Mu-amp drives ala Catalinbread and then discrete opamps. We all know REAL phasers use optocouplers  ;)
:D. I do love Phase 45's though. I think they may be my favorite modulation pedal.

I'll look in to trying them. They might well be good for doing discrete opamp input stages. I think I saw paired JFET's with joined sources that might be good for that too. I'll have to look and see if I can find them again.

midwayfair

Quote from: jubal81 on January 08, 2014, 11:17:43 PM

Hm, Mu-amps are kind of a waste of matched fets, since biasing them doesn't do much of anything ... now, matched FET pairs like Wampler, on the other hand ... maybe someone should send the link to Brian, I'm sure he'd appreciate the hell out of not having to match SMD FETs!

mmlee

Hey,
Was wondering how people got on with the central semiconductor JFETs, thinking about ordering a bunch although it looks to be out of stock right now.....

Cheers,
Marcus
>Marcus