News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PC Ribbon cable

Started by AntKnee, April 12, 2014, 11:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntKnee

So has anyone taken the IDE ribbon from a computer and repurposed it for use in pedals? Just wondering if it is doable or if the cable won't work as well for some reason.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

Clayford

40pin wire has been used in pedal and Arduino building. It's not spaced well, its difficult to strip without nicking the wire, is easy to overheat, and doesn't hold "shape" very well. That said, it's been used quite successfully by quite a few people! the colored ribbon is cheap enough on ebay. If you have some, try it out and see.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

rullywowr

The 40pin has very small spacing. The colored stuff on ebay is OK but really thin and prone to breaking in my experience. Sometimes you can find the colored stuff that's a little thicker.

I use 3M 8124 cable which is spaced .100" and it works great as long as the holes are large enough to accommodate the 24 ga.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Clayford

Quote from: rullywowr on April 13, 2014, 12:25:20 AM
The 40pin has very small spacing. The colored stuff on ebay is OK but really thin and prone to breaking in my experience. Sometimes you can find the colored stuff that's a little thicker.

I use 3M 8124 cable which is spaced .100" and it works great as long as the holes are large enough to accommodate the 24 ga.

Thank you! I was digging around for this knowing someone used that old monitor cable, quite well. I couldn't find it.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded