News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

good polyfilm cap sources?

Started by Beedoola, April 09, 2014, 04:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beedoola

I love Tayda for their great prices, but I'm not a fan of their cap offerings - at least the non-polar polyfilm. I've usually got the grey box ones but whenever I need to order from small bear I always end up getting the polyfilm Panasonic caps.

Are there any source stores that offering good quality polyfilm caps for prices less than small bear? more in the Tayda price range, or a little more.

I'm used Smallbear and Tayda, primarily. I've used Mouser too but their website is always overwhelming for me, and I've made many mistakes in the past, ordering a part I thought was what I wanted only to find it wasn't. User error, yes.

ggarms

check ebay. I've had some luck there

Clayford

To get Tayda pricing on Panasonic caps, you're looking at min 100 qty's of the caps. Usually about $10 per hundred is average. That's not to say you can't beat that pricing, look at avnet, and pay attention to their special pricing offers (denoted by a Q) on what is usually a bulk req but being offered at lower quantities. In the example below, you can get 100 10n (.01µf) caps for $4.36

But that W (or a 3) on the end of the part# means it's a crimped lead in Bulk(W) or taped(3) You might want to pay the extra for straight, or maybe you don't care to straighten them out with your pliers. At $4.36 a hundred I didn't care. Taped leads are easy to convert to bulk with either an iron and a junk t-shirt, or a cheap $1 store pair of poultry sheers.

Be ready to get a few values at once or you're going to waste your savings in shipping. Also if you're not ready to bulk buy and you want to support a fellow forumite, Chromosphere* has a GREAT store at http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/ . I've done business with him before and it was absolutely painless. Don't knock the box caps though... They are your friend for smaller values tight values like 1n5's Epcos are your friend!  Not that there's actually anything "wrong" with tayda's box caps, other than the fact they're from Tayda. The problem with the ECQ-V line is they don't go down below 10n.  You can find NOS ECQ-B's floating around.. but they might not be worth the price. Also as the values get bigger, so do the ECQ's, where as for the most part up (1µf) box caps are always the same size. I've gotten into a bunch of ECQ-V's, but at the same time, it's an aesthetics preference for me.

*Not affiliated with Paul, just think he's an awesome guy to do business with.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

muddyfox

Quote from: Clayford on April 09, 2014, 05:34:24 AM
*Not affiliated with Paul, just think he's an awesome guy to do business with.

Not that Paul needs any more plugs around here as we all know he's a champ but here's one nonetheless.
I try to give him any and all business I possibly can.