News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mangler 2014 Question

Started by MADWAGNER, April 14, 2014, 08:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MADWAGNER

I have a Mangler 2014 board, I'm going to start on today. I was wondering if I can sub a 20pf for the 10pf? I think it's for the charge pump section of the board.
If anyone can help, it would much appreciated.
thanks
Jeremy

midwayfair

It's a bypass cap for high frequencies. It's in the audio path, and it's typically only needed if you're getting oscillation or really want to remove some treble. You shouldn't need it if you're using germanium transistors. I'd leave it off and if you need it, try the 20pF. But small changes to that cap can have a big effect.

MADWAGNER

Thanks Jon!
I'll omit it and take it from there. I am using germanium. I got some Slyvania 2n299's from Small Bear.
Thanks again for your help!

madbean

It does help if you have a some noise, at the stated value will not impact tone. However, you can increase the value to smooth fuzzes out a bit. That's more important in silicon than germanium, but since there was room on the board....

You probably do not want to go higher than 33pF unless you want the smoothing. But, omitting it is okay too.

MADWAGNER

Thanks for reply. I'll get my hands on a 10pf soon. I just noticed my 2n299's are NPN. Do I have to switch around the electro's and some other things? I noticed it when I was going to bias the 2n299's.

thanks for all help