News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Socketed components secured in place?

Started by blearyeyes, April 04, 2014, 01:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blearyeyes

When you finish a pedal with socked resistors and components how do you secure them in place?

Stomptown

Unless the leads are super thin like Tayda resistors you shouldn't have to do anything to keep them in place (IMO). One time I used sockets with Tayda resistors and I was worried about them falling out. I decided to try to solder the resistors into the sockets after I decided on a value. As you may imagine, the sockets heated up and lifted out of the pcb pads. They actually stuck to the tip of my soldering iron and came right out!!! I've used this technique when I need to remove sockets ever since!  :P

culturejam

There are two ways to go, as I see:

1) Once you figure out the value you want, remove the socket and solder the part in place.

2) Use hot glue to secure the leads in the socket.

#1 is the best (in my view) way to go, but it does require a bit more work. #2 works just fine, but takes just as long (or longer) than #1.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

blearyeyes

Thanks,

I use Tayda components... they are really thin.

chromesphere

I started a thread here about a month ago asking the question "who likes thin or thick leads on their resistors".  Preference is a bit down the middle, some like thick, some like thin. I go for thick leaded these days mainly for the reason you just mentioned and bread boarding. I now only use strong leaded resistors and are the ones I sell ("general purpose" category on the webstore).

I would probably go with hot glue, to secure them but it gets messy.  Same with soldering (gets messy).  And of course its a permanent / semi permanent solution. Possibly blu tack but with hot weather blu tack will probably came loose.  Superglue or nail polish is another permanent solution.  Infact that could be a good idea, a small drop might hold them in place. Thick leads are the way to go imo and avoid this problem (I've encounted on a number of occasions) as its not 'permanent'.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

alanp

Short answer, can't be arsed.

Long answer, dab of solder in one of the sockets.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website